Great Lakes Wrecking Crew 14th Semi-Annual Meet and Greet April 23rd-25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Leko! My working pressure was 3000, I believe the 50 and 63 were as well. They were borrowed tanks so the owners would have to chime in. Boy, even half frozen she was right on my heels even though she had never worn a 7mm suit or been in 45 degree water. Hell by the time she gets a few hundred dives in she'll be diving on a 30cf pony.

Mmmmmmm, wine :D Cheryl converted me to a wine drinker, never liked it before she introduced me to that Reisling LOL!
Ber :lilbunny:

If I did my math right and assuming a working pressure of ~3000 PSI:

STUDENT:
Dive 1: 2.246
Dive 2: 1.988
Dive 3: 2.672
Dive 4: 2.362

BER:
Dive 1: 1.875
Dive 2: 1.507
Dive 3: 2.444
Dive 4: 2.250

See if someone else agrees with my numbers...

Leko... SAC can be calculated a couple different ways. What units are your numbers in? (Cf/min, Psi/min, ect). When I calculate SAC I normally calculate to Cf/Min. When solving for that I came up with the following... :dork2:

Dive Student Ber
1 0.73 0.61
2 0.64 0.49
3 0.73 0.67
4 0.70 0.73

These would be all calculated as Cf/Min. Based on what I have seen and been told a 0.5 Cf/Min SAC is very good for a guy (females typically will have a lower rate than a male) and a 1.0+ Cf/Min SAC would be a heavily tasked/stressed diver.

Anyone else care to chime in as I would also like to validate my calculations (it is a morning and I'm not sure my mind is fully engaged yet). :idk:

Damn...no one mentioned warm water wimp ONCE:depressed:. Looks like no one missed the shrimp, croissants, canadian bacon, high class munchies and wine. Forgotten all ready.

I asked about you! I told Ted to give you a hug for me... No trips to the winery this time! Fun, as always, and you would have added to it. Next time?

Damn...no one mentioned warm water wimp ONCE:depressed:. Looks like no one missed the shrimp, croissants, canadian bacon, high class munchies and wine. Forgotten all ready.

I missed you! :depressed: Something was definitely missing without our fireside discussions and wine. You have to make sure you can attend in the fall!!!!

Leko... SAC can be calculated a couple different ways. What units are your numbers in? (Cf/min, Psi/min, ect). When I calculate SAC I normally calculate to Cf/Min. When solving for that I came up with the following... :dork2:

Dive Student Ber
1 0.73 0.61
2 0.64 0.49
3 0.73 0.67
4 0.70 0.73

These would be all calculated as Cf/Min. Based on what I have seen and been told a 0.5 Cf/Min SAC is very good for a guy (females typically will have a lower rate than a male) and a 1.0+ Cf/Min SAC would be a heavily tasked/stressed diver.

Anyone else care to chime in as I would also like to validate my calculations (it is a morning and I'm not sure my mind is fully engaged yet). :idk:

The numbers that you are talking about are actually RMV which is a number that I like to use more than SAC (surface air consumption). SAC is typically expressed by the pressure decrease in a given tank equivalent to if the person was breathing the air on the surface. So that would by like xxpsi/min instead of Respiratory volume measurements which are listed in cubic ft. or liters per min. The RMV depends on the the diver and the stress level on the diver, and can be used for dive planning when talking about different sized tanks and different fill pressures on those tanks quite a bit more easily.

In any case, as I recall you are correct the base of it. I have dove with some women who have a .4 cu. ft./min RMV and marvel. For a male, .7-.8 RMV for a working (swimming) diver is normally pretty good and a stressed diver will run about 1.0-1.5 in the books that I have used to plan gas management.

Women seem to breathe no more than birds. There is some sort of scientific explanation for this, but I just remember this from experience.

Your numbers seem to match up to mine so far. A would mention that for some reason I keep coming up with 0.76-0.78 cu. ft./min (depending on where I round numbers in the calculations) for the student on the last dive.

BTW, WWW---Kathleen and I missed seeing you as well.

Last edited:
for a really stressed diver in cold water I'd triple your numbers Brain.

The numbers that you are talking about are actually RMV which is a number that I like to use more than SAC (surface air consumption). SAC is typically expressed by the pressure decrease in a given tank equivalent to if the person was breathing the air on the surface.

Your numbers seem to match up to mine so far. A would mention that for some reason I keep coming up with 0.76-0.78 cu. ft./min (depending on where I round numbers in the calculations) for the student on the last dive.

BTW, WWW---Kathleen and I missed seeing you as well.

I come up with (cheating, using the wheel):

SAC (psi / min)

Student Ber
1 43 23
2 38 18
3 44 25
4 36 28

However, since the tanks are different, as Brian pointed out, have to convert to RMV (cf / min), so:

1 .72 .59
2 .63 .46
3 .73 .65
4 .76 .72

So, Brian, I agree with you on the student on the last dive. I took care to ensure that I noted the 63cf tank on that divce, vice 50 on previous. Small differences because I used the wheel, didn't do math longhand.

My numbers on the first 3 dives (I was with them): 18 (Al100, RMV=0.6), no air pressure recorded on #2, have to download my AI computter later, 25 (RMV=.65 - Al80).

Ken

Well, after downloading the computter, and realizing dive 3 was the AL100, not an 80, the computter says my RMVs were: .65, .63, .77. Difference on 1st is a different average depth than assumed, 3rd is Al 100 and different average depth.

Last edited:
So as I ate an orange left over from the weekend I realized I never had one of the Deco sticks (multi-colored Twizzlers) I brought. Did they get eaten? Were they part of the Friday night fire entertainment I'm so conveniently not remembering all of?

Hoping curiousity doesn't kill this diver.
Paula

So as I ate an orange left over from the weekend I realized I never had one of the Deco sticks (multi-colored Twizzlers) I brought. Did they get eaten? Were they part of the Friday night fire entertainment I'm so conveniently not remembering all of?

Hoping curiousity doesn't kill this diver.
Paula
I never saw any twizzlers. The whole weekend. I cleaned up the tables too. You sure they made it to the event?

I never saw any twizzlers. The whole weekend. I cleaned up the tables too. You sure they made it to the event?

Most definitely. They were in the same bag as the oranges and apples when I carried them to the table.

And I was excited 'cause I usually get the Watermelon flavored / twisted rope deco sticks but found multicolored ones this time. Wanted to check 'em out. Curious if they were any good.

Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom