Great Wall Dive - Beijing PRC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcbeaudry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just back from a weekend trip to the Panjiakou reservoir (spelling may be incorrect)
it's an area that was flooded in 1977 by the Chinese government and turned into a reservoir. A village
and a section of the wall are at the bottom of the reservoir.
If you're looking for an 'easy little dive' pass on this one - it's not a novice dive. It can get deep
(in excess of recreational limits) at depth it's cold (6C this las weekend) and there is a layer of
silt between the surface that is so thick sunlight does not make it to the bottom making it a night dive
at depth, there are no coral there is very little marine life . If that doesn't worry you -
this is a VERY cool bucket list dive for sure.
Unless you've got all your own gear , tanks a boat and speak Mandarin you need someone to take you , it's a great dive in that the actual dive is very interesting (walking or hiking the great wall is one thing - how many can say they DOVE it ???) but it's a great look at rural China, the culture and people as well, stay a weekend to make it worth your trip,
the country side is fantastically beautiful at the reservoir.
There are a few Beijing shops that claim to take people out from time to time , like all things you pay your money and take your chances.
I'd strongly recommend Yong, aka Dive-Buddy from VVdiving.com
2014 Aug. 19-20 Scuba diving in Underwater Greatwall--????|?????????|Beijing Diving|OW????|??????|????|????|PP???
we went out as a small group of 4 and had a great time.

Ooooh! I've been looking at this, since I'll be in China at Christmastime, but I don't think there are any dives scheduled for that site at that time of year.

So glad you posted your thoughts. Thanks!

Yes Yong the owner-operator speaks English, and runs a very legit PADI organisation - unlike many other PADI 5Star shops in the Beijing area
who will certify a diver for open water without getting out of the pool ...
VVdiving are quite concerned about doing it the correct way - not only are the concerned about your safety they are
a pleasure to deal with.

*Lidja - at Christmas time it's an Ice Dive ,

right - @bubbly noob - what I'm saying it that this method offered by Beijing 5star Padi outifts - certifying OW divers in a pool
is dangerous .

Other companies (and I suggested VVDiving although there ARE others) will NOT certify a new diver without doing it IN OW .

Hey Marc are you still based in Beijing? Let me know if you want to go diving around here. We went down to the UW Great wall last week and managed a much cheaper dive trip out there:)

Hey, don't forget to invite me along, I might even be able to round up a couple guys in Shanghai. Seems like cold is cold, but might help the vis in winter. Anyone tried the dive in early spring before mountain run off?

I am in Taixing for the next 5 months and brought my drysuit and equipment (no tanks or weights). I sent an email to Yong about the Great Wall. I would love to dive the Great Wall and the Lost City. Please hit me up.

Safe Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom