Great White hooked in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Cali you couldn't "try" to catch a GWS period, so what those guys did is illegal here. They would have been severely fined, but people still probably would have "liked" them on FB. Because so many people, similar to some posters in this thread, think because the law doesn't say no, it is okay to do. Who cares, if it hurts the shark long term right? After all it is legal at this point in time.

As to the MPA's read this: California's new no-fishing zones appear to be working, scientists say

Regarding the guys who don't care about the laws and poaching where they want and how ever much they want, well read this: CDFW Wildlife Officers Stop and Cite Channel Islands Fishermen

Here in Cali some of the biggest fines are given to poachers. The DFW is hardcore about following regulations. Because we use my boat in locations where hunters frequent, I often get searched by DFW and allow them to poke around showing I am following the rules, even though we have zero hunting equipment onboard, and are just scuba diving.

Well obviously they work, but some say the lines are arbitrarily drawn, they also can protect species who need "population control" from the human hunters who caused the problem in the first place. If we damage the ecosystem by removing key players, then we should at least try to "manage" the problem by limiting the resulting population explosion. Seems like responsible human behavior to me. :idk:

I'm not saying MPAs are a bad thing, I'm just saying you guys need to share with the carnivores. :D

Oh calm down Francis. 2 guys hooked a shark, it swam around for a few hours and then it was freed. Then everyone here wants them "Jailed and fined" (for something that is legal) "fined anyway", hoping his boat sinks,(bet that fuel leaking in the water will be good for sharks) "glad there names are out there for the backlash, etc. Then you get upset because a majority on their facebook page disagrees with you and then, out comes the "we are doomed!" AHHHHHHH Crap! 2 guys hooked and released a shark! The sky is falling and we are going to die!

Right now, that shark is probably eating a chunk of some endangered whale. The bastard!

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2013 at 08:42 AM ----------

For the record, I don't really condone what they did.

The 'like' was for the added post, and the 'endangered whale' bit ...

Yes, they did release the shark, ... after having it drag their boat around for a couple of hours, just to amuse themselves and shoot some 'awesome' pics and video?? F=ckin' idiots ...

Oh, and Armageddon is not coming, ... yet.:wink:

"Some say" a lot of BS things.

As for sharing with the carnivores, less than 20% of California's coast was protected in MPAs (less than the recommendations from scientists). If anglers and spearos can't be content with the remaining 80+% after causing much of the problem in the first place, they are being unwilling to "share" my friend.

And in the case of the hooked GWS, they saw the shark first and then intentionally went after it... it wasn't just an "accidental" catch.

Well obviously they work, but some say the lines are arbitrarily drawn, they also can protect species who need "population control" from the human hunters who caused the problem in the first place. If we damage the ecosystem by removing key players, then we should at least try to "manage" the problem by limiting the resulting population explosion. Seems like responsible human behavior to me. :idk:

I'm not saying MPAs are a bad thing, I'm just saying you guys need to share with the carnivores. :D

have you been out to thatch caye again, I swear that was one of their boats . . . LOL

Thatch Caye still up and running?

Last time I talked to some guys that work there was in Oct or so. They were running then. I see Steve in town now and then. Since Travis left, I don't go by there anymore.

As for sharing with the carnivores, less than 20% of California's coast was protected in MPAs (less than the recommendations from scientists). If anglers and spearos can't be content with the remaining 80+% after causing much of the problem in the first place, they are being unwilling to "share" my friend.

And in the case of the hooked GWS, they saw the shark first and then intentionally went after it... it wasn't just an "accidental" catch.

There will be little pleasure in saying 'I told you so' when there's nothing left to catch. Altho at current run rates that probably will be the only pleasure, paltry tho it is, derived.

Our demands on the resources of this planet are simply unsustainable.

There will be little pleasure in saying 'I told you so' when there's nothing left to catch. Altho at current run rates that probably will be the only pleasure, paltry tho it is, derived.

Our demands on the resources of this planet are simply unsustainable.

And that's why I'm all for some 'population control', ... the natural way of course, let's say in the form of a 'super virus', ... major wipe-out, down to 2 billion(give or take). The remainder should be able to take care of all the 'dangerous' sh=t we created in the course of our evolution, not to go out of whack, and by the time we get back up to 7bil, maybe we'll be smart enough to be 'nice' house guests ...

Last edited:
And that's why I'm all for some 'population control', ... the natural way of course, let's say in the form of a 'super virus', ... major wipe-out, down to 2 billion(give or take). The remainder should be able to take care of all the 'dangerous' sh=t we created in the course of our evolution, not to go out of whack, and by the time we get back up to 7bil, maybe we'll be smart enough to be 'nice' house guests ...

Yep...I saw that movie back in the 70's with Charlton Heston.

Omega Man.jpg

Paul Ehrlich was certainly right way back when with The Population Bomb. Earth's natural ecosystems cannot sustain our increasing burden on them and personally I have no desire to see agriculture overtake wildlands. In addition to food resources we demand too much from the environment to sustain our standard of living and sustain the Earth. Imagine what it would be like if all human beings lived at the same lifestyle found in the West (even worse if we use American vs European standards of living). This incessant focus on increasing numbers... the population of the US, economic growth, etc. is absolutely absurd.

Its the locations not the quantity people have issue with, guys have to drive to dive, not an issue you yal but it is to them.

I have no pony in that race (directly anyway), it was just a random example fellas. Locally, gag grouper is closed until july but i cant go on a dive without poking them off of my hogs, or them trying to sneak off with my stringer while I'm busy digging out a fish. Jew fish (flame suit on) are notorious for that action also and again, i cant go on a dive without seeing one or fighting one for "my" fish. A year ago the gags were nothing like that but a short close was all it took for them to be everywhere and adapt to immunity from divers. It sucks now but come july... Lets just say i will fill the freezer, no doubt.

Point is, and don't tell my spearo buds but, I'm fine with closures, fine with catch limits and fine with size limits. I think all of those things make the ocean a better place (some say shooting only big fish makes for a smaller population) but there needs to be an end, one guy feeding his family fresh fish, off the line or spear, and not feeding them long line or netted fish is helping. People who eat the fish from those guys are the problem, not the random spearo or h&l guy. Spearfishing is by far the most sustainable/humane method, zero bycatch, zero punctured bladders, zero wrong fish deaths. We don't spend hours pulling up every fish on the reef looking for the big one, we just go down and get him... only him.

Do you guys think there is such a thing as sustainable fishing? There are thousands of snapper on my ledges, should i shoot them to feed myself and family or no? How many do i need to see on every dive before we have enough?

Paul Ehrlich was certainly right way back when with The Population Bomb. Earth's natural ecosystems cannot sustain our increasing burden on them and personally I have no desire to see agriculture overtake wildlands. In addition to food resources we demand too much from the environment to sustain our standard of living and sustain the Earth. Imagine what it would be like if all human beings lived at the same lifestyle found in the West (even worse if we use American vs European standards of living). This incessant focus on increasing numbers... the population of the US, economic growth, etc. is absolutely absurd.

No, .... Human.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 06:02 PM ----------

Yep...I saw that movie back in the 70's with Charlton Heston.

View attachment 151751

Damn, did you have to make me feel old??:wink:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom