Great White Shark Cage Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Highly recommend a South Africa trip for every avid diver... it's not as expensive as one might think.
This is an interesting comment, is the common perception that South Africa would be expensive? I've always been under the impression that South Africa is quite affordable. At least, considering how expensive other countries are to us, I had to infer that we must be cheap.

To give an idea, here are the prices of some items in South Africa converted to US Dollar.

One dive with a charter (without gear rental): $31
B&B accommodation for one night per person sharing: $20
A beer: $1 at a liquor store, $2 at a restaurant (we don't have the greatest beer but if you're thinking in terms of US$ then at least it will be better than what you're used to:eyebrow:)
A main course at a good restaurant: $10-$16 (and we have good steaks)
A take-away meal with fries and a drink: $0.50
2 liter bottle of Coca Cola (that's 34 fluid ounces): $2
A movie ticket: $0.50
A liter of petrol: $0.94 (that's $3.56 per gallon which is probably more expensive than what you're used to)
One day's car rental: $25 for something basic, $40 for something fancy

Those are just a few that I could quickly come up with. I'd be curious to know whether this is considered cheap or expensive. In my experience, compared to at least the USA, UK, Ireland, Holland, Switzerland our prices were fairly low.

I agree. The exchange rate favors the US visitor. Plane fare is by far the most expensive item. When planning a trip to Africa it's definitely not just for diving however. You really need to take in as much of this beautiful country as you can. Although my trip was primarily to research new dive sites for our website and build relationships with other shops to help promote dive travel there, you also need to experience a safari at Krueger National Park or take the challenge and climb Table Top mountain in Capetown. Our trip also brought us further North in SA towards the boarder of Mozambique where we experienced some unbelievable encounters with Whale Sharks. I could go on and on and on about this country. After my visit I am definitely a fan :)

Diving in S.A. is far cheaper than most places here are examples
Single dive = R180.00 including a divers roll.

Non Diver Accommod R180.00 per dive (Airfill included but no gear)
Gear rental R35.00 per item per day
Full Gear R225.00 per dayation per request.
Tiger diving = R900.00 including a divers roll.
Personalized DVD for Tiger diving = R500.00
Divide these figures by 8 to get the rough dollar price and about 10 to get the Euro price
L.O.L.

Single dive = R180.00 including a divers roll.
Hi Lorraine. Where do you dive for R180 per dive? There are no operators that I know of on the KwaZulu-Natal coast who offer dives that cheap. They are all around R230-R270 per dive. I haven't dived Cape Town yet but I believe they are a bit cheaper there.

:confused:

hey,
We were in SA in July, had our Great White trip cancelled twice cos of the weather - gutted!!
The exchange rate isnt as good from the UK now as it was about 18 months ago, but its still really cheap. Only problem is that the flights can br pricey, especially this year with the Lions touring. Without doubt though, I would recommend South Africa for diving or a normal holiday....stunning place (and really cheap Nando's!!!)

Thanks Lorraine, that is definitely one that I'll flag for the next time I go to Aliwal Shoal. I'm still perplexed by
Does this mean a non diver pays R180 for every dive he doesn't do and though he gets no gear for the dive he won't do (which is understandable), he does get an airfill?:D

But on a more serious note, and forgive me if this is a stupid question but what is a "divers roll"?

Cheers,
D

Jeez, you don't know what a divers roll is? Where have you been?

Ok, neither do I.......

Hi pennj003, i understand you recommend ecoventures in yr post.

is there any way to check who is the best dive operator in or around cape town, any other good recommendations pls?

i intend on flying into capetown in late december this year, and am trying to find a really good dive operator to do my dive with.

should i just fly in and pick by word of mouth when i get there?.. or should i preebook everything before flying out.

also; is december and january a good time to go great white cage diving?

are the sharks still in that region in decent numbers,especially dyer island?

im in a real dilemma here as to what to do.

any helpful advice wud be very much appreciated.

manny

Last edited:
Manny
If you have seen Air Jaws, or any of a number of Nat Geo / Discovery programmes about GW's near Cape Town, chances are it was Rob Lawrence and/or Chris Fallows. They run seperate, but linked, operations out of Simonstown (about 45 mins or so from Cape Town toward Cape Point). They do morning and afternoon trips to Seal Island. Def recommend either of these - if one is booked they pass you over to the other to try to accomodate you. The morning trip is prob the better option, as you can still have the afternoon to do other things if you want (Boulders Beach just down the road for eg). Check apexpredators.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom