Great White Shark Diving at Isla Guadalupe, Mexico - Departing From San Diego, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
October 17th - 21st, 2008

[GOOGLE]Isla Guadalupe Great White Shark Diving[/GOOGLE]
Not just a trip...an Experience

*** Space Available For You ... and Your Friends! ***

HORIZON Charters Baja and California Eco and Dive Adventures
is based in San Diego, California

w w w . H O R I Z O N C H A R T E R S . c o m
Go to Schedule and Reservations for more information
USA 1 (858) 277-7823​

Spaces Available: 18
Length: 5 Day / 4 Night
Boarding: October 17, 2008 7:00 AM
Returns: October 21, 2008 3:00 - 6:00 PM
Price (Per Person): Special Discounted Rate of $1,995.00 - When booked directly through Horizon Charters
Included in Trip Fare: Meals, snacks, beverages, weight belts and weights, Guadalupe Island Biosphere entrance fees and wrist bands
Not Included in Trip Fare: Personal dive equipment (May be rented through our web site), crew gratuity, and if necessary a fuel surcharge
Additional Information: Departure is from San Diego, California.

This departure includes 3 full days of cage diving with the great white sharks of Guadalupe Island.

October - November: Late season best for large female sharks, 14 - 18 feet. This time frame coined as the "Time of the Titans!"!

Itinerary and pictures attached!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Captain Greg Grivetto's Log from a recent Great White Shark Trip: (For more entries check out the Captain's Log on our web site)

A day in the life during a
Great White Shark EXPERIENCE
at Guadalupe Island

August 19, 2008 Great White Sharks of Guadalupe Island

We arrived in Guadalupe's north bay shortly after 9:00 AM as the ever present cloud wave poured over Punta Norte. This event is quite spectacular as the north end of the island acts much like the wing of an airplane, creating high pressure on one side and low on the other. As the prevailing westerly wind piles into the vertical west facing side of Guadalupe it rises to a height of over 3000 feet before cresting the top and falling into the low pressure zone of the islands leeward eastern facing side. In the process of rising and falling the air cools, condenses and forms a cloud which pours over Guadalupe's summit, down the slope and then just short of the ocean disappears into thin air! Almost as amazing as what we witnessed in the ocean just astern of Horizon...

Today... well in short, "That's what I'm talkin' about!!" Wow...oh my..."You can hang a star on that one!", over the top and finally one of the top 3 sharking days that we have had at Isla Guadalupe! Now consider that we started this whole thing 8 years ago, and have spent more time here than anyone. That is saying a bunch. Consider this, we witnessed AT LEAST 10 different sharks and had up to 6 sharks within view during portions of our day. We did not have a single cage rotation without at least 3 different sharks! The final rotation, of which I was party to, had 6 sharks circumnavigating Horizon and up to 4 within 40 feet of the cages!

After an hour I handed up my camera to the dive staff and sunk back to the bottom of the cage, sat in the lotus position and stared in awe as I observed multiple animals swimming in what appeared to be an organized formation. The water clarity, even at 6:00 PM, when the sun went behind the Guadalupe mountain, was well over 100 feet.
The weather was perfect, 85 degrees and just enough breeze to remain comfy...with 30 layers of sunscreen.

We can hope for more of the same tomorrow, but that would be way too much to ask. If we do not see another shark the entire trip we have already had an amazing adventure!

Until Tomorrow...

Adios,
Captain Greg​

Attachments

• Horizon Charters Isla Guadalupe Great White Shark Itinerary.pdf
    123.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Horizon Charters Great White Shark Experience copy.jpg
    Horizon Charters Great White Shark Experience copy.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 475
  • Horizon Charters - It's Not Just A Trip.jpg
    Horizon Charters - It's Not Just A Trip.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 327