Great White Sharks and South Africa - Let's set things straight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I don't dispute the words of Elna, who is clearly knowledgeable about the GW's, the picture is as ??? said, it is a part of the collection of Chris and Monique Fallows in the Western Cape. Their website www.apexpredators.com has many more great photo's that you can buy in high quality print. All the proceeds of their photo's go into furthering their studies on these fabulous beasts. I receive their monthly 'Shark-Bytes' newsletters and it makes a good read.
As far as the submarine is concerned, the tales are there, and for all we know, the shark is too. I have seen some very large sharks in False Bay, but only ever from boats (can be a little daunting trolling off a 6.1m inflatable with a 35cm dorsal fin about 20m off the stern, but I have not seen anything as large as 6-8m.
I was lucky enough to go diving in Gansbaai in the cage efforts over there and although it was cold, we were not allowed to use reg's (scares the sharks off) until the sharks are relaxed around the boat; it was an amazing experience nontheless...highly recommended!!
Sharks breach all over the world, but the Western Cape is prolific as a result of the natural 'design' of Robben Island and Shark Alley, if you want to lear more, rent the DVD's Air Jaws and Air Jaws II. Chris Fallows features prominently and there is some footage of a whale carcass being devoured by no less than 20 large GW's....awesome.

P.S, I have done about 50 dives in and around False Bay and NEVER seen a GW under the water......but they are there,m and they see you, even if you do not see them..!!

Safe Diving to all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom