Great White spotted at Crystal Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shucks! I missed seeing the lost GWS. We only saw 2 mantas at Manta Point, 4 mola-mola & a thresher shark at Blue Corner yesterday.

I've been thinking about this. Why only 2 mantas? Maybe that is why the GW looks so well fed.

I can't even count how many mantas were at manta point when I was there. Had to have been at least a dozen.

What would you estimate @Tippytoes12 ?

I'm not happy about this GW hanging around my favourite site.

Yes, I was happy when I saw all the mantas at Manta Point, and the mola mola at Crystal Bay and the juvenile whale shark at SD but I still don't want to see a GW there. It spoils my enjoyment, the wondering . . .

I'm not happy about this GW hanging around my favourite site.

Why would something happening which is a basic part of the marine environment cause you to be happy or unhappy one way or the other?

Isn’t the big concern in this modern era with whether or not human beings are impacting the environment around them such that natural phenomenon are interrupted or less frequent?

Nature is not here for our amusement, so I fail to see why what happens naturally should ever bother us at all. IMHO, this sighting just confirms that Nusa Penida is a heathy ecosystem top to bottom, and that whatever conservation policy the government has is working. Sharks are a bell-weather species, we should all be glad when they are regularly encountered. I’ve never been to what I consider a healthy destination that did not have regular shark sightings...

Why would something happening which is a basic part of the marine environment cause you to be happy or unhappy one way or the other?

Isn’t the big concern in this modern era with whether or not human beings are impacting the environment around them such that natural phenomenon are interrupted or less frequent?

Nature is not here for our amusement, so I fail to see why what happens naturally should ever bother us at all. IMHO, this sighting just confirms that Nusa Penida is a heathy ecosystem top to bottom, and that whatever conservation policy the government has is working. Sharks are a bell-weather species, we should all be glad when they are regularly encountered. I’ve never been to what I consider a healthy destination that did not have regular shark sightings...

I agree with you in principle. However, I choose not to dive in South Africa and California because I choose to avoid being in the water with a GW. By the same token, I don't seek out Tiger sharks. I don't go on feeding dives or cage dives.

I've been diving with plenty of other kinds of sharks and quite loved it.
I was very pleased to see sharks on local dives out of San Pedro, Belize for example, because it indicated a healthier system.

I'm always aware that sharks may see me but I may not see them. That's OK.

I've been diving in the Red Sea at Brothers. There were Oceanic White Tips around. While I appreciated their beauty, I was not thrilled to be in the water with them.

I don't particularly like being in the water with bull sharks either but I've been quite snuggly with gray reef sharks, white tips, black tips, etc.

Personally I would have been overjoyed to see one. But diving is meant to be fun, and if you don’t like a particular situation or experience that’s totally OK.

I see photos on Facebook regularly about the notorious fish market in Lombok, including all sorts of massive sharks, so there is more around that we realise. OK thé poor things would have been baited and they have excellent senses of smell, but they may well be there deeper or further out from the reef, but they are around.

That’s why it’s so cool to have divers in your group who are actively looking around, like you CIC !

Personally I would have been overjoyed to see one. But diving is meant to be fun, and if you don’t like a particular situation or experience that’s totally OK.

I see photos on Facebook regularly about the notorious fish market in Lombok, including all sorts of massive sharks, so there is more around that we realise. OK thé poor things would have been baited and they have excellent senses of smell, but they may well be there deeper or further out from the reef, but they are around.

That’s why it’s so cool to have divers in your group who are actively looking around, like you CIC !

LOL, from now on, I'll be looking around quite a bit more actively whilst in Bali!!

Yes, the photos of the markets are quite sickening.

And if we happen to be diving together again, I'll point, pee my pants and you can take the photo so we'll have the memory forever. :rofl3:

I agree with you in principle. However, I choose not to dive in South Africa and California because I choose to avoid being in the water with a GW. By the same token, I don't seek out Tiger sharks. I don't go on feeding dives or cage dives.

I've been diving with plenty of other kinds of sharks and quite loved it.
I was very pleased to see sharks on local dives out of San Pedro, Belize for example, because it indicated a healthier system.

I'm always aware that sharks may see me but I may not see them. That's OK.

I've been diving in the Red Sea at Brothers. There were Oceanic White Tips around. While I appreciated their beauty, I was not thrilled to be in the water with them.

I don't particularly like being in the water with bull sharks either but I've been quite snuggly with gray reef sharks, white tips, black tips, etc.

I understand being uneasy about sharks and it’s not as though they will get offended if you do not travel to see them..:)

However, in the interest of your and all diver’s welfare, it is good to remember that most shark attacks contain one or more predictable elements, and that those elements are relatively easy to avoid.

I understand being uneasy about sharks and it’s not as though they will get offended if you do not travel to see them..:)

However, in the interest of your and all diver’s welfare, it is good to remember that most shark attacks contain one or more predictable elements, and that those elements are relatively easy to avoid.

I'm quite aware of those and watch for those when I'm diving with other kinds of sharks but we are not on the same page as far as believing "avoidable".

Back
Top Bottom