Great Whites in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Everyone knows Hawaii has tiger sharks but it is less well-know that they also have the occassional whitey. And of course, the tourist agencies aren't eager to publicize it. :blinking:

Check out this clip at Molokini crater, just off of Maui. What a beautiful animal !

Great White Shark - Molokini Maui Hawaii - YouTube

Everyone knows Hawaii has tiger sharks but it is less well-know that they also have the occassional whitey. And of course, the tourist agencies aren't eager to publicize it. :blinking:

Check out this clip at Molokini crater, just off of Maui. What a beautiful animal !

Great White Shark - Molokini Maui Hawaii - YouTube

sweet

That is one slow moving shark!

The original clip is from Molokini - one of the main dive sites off of Maui ! Almost all the 2-tank dives on the south shore (unless the boat is moored at Lahaina) will do one dive there and another one closer to shore. I have done Molokini crater twice myself and never seen anything more exciting than a moray eel.

What an awesome experience. And no cage for safety. Just goes to show that great whites are not killing machines.

I am not in any hurry to prove they wont kill me if I meet them, but DAMN theire impressive sharks...
Great whites is one of very few sharks Id be seriously careful with

I wonder how long it was? That shark wasn't just big; it looked fat! Great whites aren't lean-bodied to being with, from what I've seen on videos, but that's a whopper!

Richard.

Um....NO! NO! NO! NO! Well....Maybe I'll see how I feel about it in May.

cool...thanks for sharing.

Lol, Dave Fuller who is the first diver closest to the shark is a good friend of mine. He is a DM on Ed Robinsons boat. This shark was a big guy, 12-14 feet. Not that it really matters, anything over 8 feet is intimidating if you aren't paying attention. We like to think Great whites need Maui vacations too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dave's a friend of ours too and the funniest part of the whole experience was when a brand new (young) diver in his group assumed that was a typical dive! Definitely a once in a lifetime experience, but goes to show that the theory that there are Great Whites in the deep water around Kahoolawe.

Great encounter and so glad he got video!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom