Greece in August ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amanda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi to all

I know a thread has been going on not so long ago about the differences between Spain and Greece, but anyway I'll post a question concerning Greece again :) .

We're planning to have a 3 weeks trip in the greek isles in August (I know it is the worst time to go, but we have no choice :( )

Is it safe to travel with my own equipment (everything excluding tank) ? If no, then can I rent decent equipment there ?

And how's the diving in the Peloponese ?

Any answer will be GREAT !!

Thanks, cheers

Can't help you but have you tried a search of the threads yet? Might yield some answers or people to ask questions directly to.

Good luck!:)

I guess the main question is how are you going to travel. If you are island hopping and therefore carrying all your gear with you then I guess rental would be a better option. I have only dived in Crete, but the standard of equipment was fine. Also I guess it depends on how much diving you are planning to do, if you are not diving that much, its probably not worth the hassle and risk of bringing your kit.

I have been to other Islands and would have to reccomend Paros in the Cyclades, especially the smaller town of Naoussa (spelling probably wrong).

Water beaches and attitude is pretty fine

I might be asking you for some advice myself as I'll be heading to the south of France around that time.

Conor

Yes it really is not a good time to visit Greece in August, even the greek people avoid taking their summer holidays during that time, but if you are a little bit flexible with crowded situations i am sure that you are going to have a great vacations...So lets scuba talk. I saw a question inside here: is it safe to travel with your equipment? I can only imagine that you feel that you are travelling in a third world country....Yesss very safe to travel with your equipment and much safer for you since we are for many years now a travel destination for europeans and not only, and we really do not have psychological problems with foreigners. You can also rent as descent scuba gear here as in your country. Of course not all diving centers give top quality services but most of them do. In any case your equipment is the best equipment...
:p
Also you sould not forget that greek people are pioneers in scuba diving. So you will find out that you can easily find diving centers all over Greece. I would love to help you if you can be more exact with the location you are planning to go. The only thing i must tell you is that for now the greak law and the ministry of culture has limited diving to special places that are checked for ancient artifacts. That is why you may find yourself diving in the same spot every time. This is going to change this year, thanks god! Greece is a really safe place to be with clean seas many diving spots and lots of marine life. Maybe not so colorfull as the red sea, but you can really do much more here after diving than in hurgada :p Anyway i would be very happy if i could help anyone in trouble finding a diving center in Greece or answere in any kind of question involving Greece. Just email me! Greetings from sunny Athens!

Eleana Kyriakaki.

Thaks for the answer (if it was adressed to me of course... but since I'm the one who asked about Greece in August...)

Nice to hear from Greek people on this board. (I'm looking forward to that trip :D )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom