Green Corrosion!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1054EDP

Registered
Reaction score
Just another ebay nightmare!

Just purchased a used scuba pro air 2 on ebay . the person stated in the narrative, that the air 2 was in excellent condition, which was far from true. when i recieved it, there was green corrosion throughout the enrire unit. the person did include a rebuild kit, but i need to get all the corrosion off. i don't want to have to trash this piece, so i need a couple of suggestions on how to remove surface corrosion.
thank you

:upset:

Are you going to service the Air 2 yourself? Don't mean to sound like a smart*ss but if you're not sure how to get the corrosion off, maybe you should not attempt it.

If you're interested in learning however, get a copy of Vance Harlow's Regulator book from www.airspeedpress.com - it will not only tell you how to get the corrosion off, but also how to disassemble, clean, rebuild, test and tune that Air 2.

Depending on the amount of corrosion, you'll need an acid bath of some strength. Hard to say without looking at the unit. A ultrasonic cleaner will help.

There has to be a lot of corrosion before the pitting kills the reg. Clean in up, service it, and it will probably be fine.

Peter

Mix up a batch of white vinegar and an equal amount of warm water. Add a big squirt of dishwashing detergent (not dishwasher machine detergent) and soak all of the metal parts for about 15 minutes. Rinse them when they're done.

It is a cheaper alternative to an Ultrasonic Cleaner ($400 or so) I believe the mix is 50/50. You may also want to go to Home Depot and get brass brush to help clean the brass parts. BUT, if you are not trained to service it take it to a store that has licensed technicians.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Are you going to service the Air 2 yourself? Don't mean to sound like a smart*ss but if you're not sure how to get the corrosion off, maybe you should not attempt it.

If you're interested in learning however, get a copy of Vance Harlow's Regulator book from www.airspeedpress.com - it will not only tell you how to get the corrosion off, but also how to disassemble, clean, rebuild, test and tune that Air 2.

Have it serviced...

Corrosion on an otherwise working 2nd stage is more an indicator of past transgressions than an immediate problem. There are no dynamic o-ring that will be damaged by corrosion in the Air2. The critical surfaces are the end of the air barrel that connects with the seat on the QD, the o-ring seating surfaces on the air barrel assembly, and the threaded connection of the housing and the barrel. Be carefull you don't do more harm than good. Unless you are willing to write that Air2 off as a good learning experience, I suggest a bit more research and study before you procede.

By the way, one of the easier parts to break in that Air2 is the exhaust spider that holds the diaphram for the exhaust/dump valve. SP has a special tool for its removal (it screws in) that spreads the torque over the six plastic arms. You can get by without it but you will be appling the force to just a couple of the arms. If you don't loosen the salt and other deposits first, the exhaust spider may not survive. If you are really crafty, you can build your own tool that will engage all the spider arms.

Or if you want to practice, I just found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3628169145&category=16056

why don't you take it up with the seller? if what you said is true, then he obviously misrepresented the facts. approach it nicely and you might get (some of) your money back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom