Green Photos with Sony DSC-P9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, So I took my cybershot with me this weekend diving, and all my pics are green. I had read to change the White ballance setting to cloudy before going, at that would prevent everything from being blue....umm well I guess it worked in some manor. Anyways, is anyone else diving with this camara? I thought the photos looked good on the display while at depth(80 feet). I was spotting the photos with my dive light, although it's not that bright of a light. I could use some tips, I can't set the white balance myself, but do have programed settings for Auto, outdoors, cloudy, incandesent, and flourescent.
Thanks
-kevin

Kwbyron:
Ok, So I took my cybershot with me this weekend diving, and all my pics are green.

When there's no other light than green it's what you get. Only better light's or strobes can help in conditions like that. Diving an other day you find the ligh a bit different, however in this time of year "green" happens..:wink:

At that depth, you've lost most of your reds and oranges from natural light. Try using the flash or a much stronger fill light.

Also you can try taking something with a broad spectrum, like a rainbow palate down there and photographing it with and without flash to see the difference.

BTW, there's alot you can still do with those green images. Here's the result of passing it thru Photoshop's auto smart fix to bring out some latent colors:

sbxxxx1.jpg

Agree with above. I am a long time Sony DSC-P5 user. I get rid of the green by a combination of; 1) get close/using the flash and 2) correct in Photoshop. Playing with the white balance has never helped me. YMMV.

I recently moved up to the P150 and am very pleasently surprised to find it has much less tendendancy to shift green. Some of my recent pictures from Bonaire, I did not have to shift the colors any. It's smaller, faster (almost no shutter lag), much better battery life, full manual controls, better UW housing and much less green.

Awsome, thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can do with it.. I was trying to spot it with my light, but it's not that bright. When ya'll use the flash, go you get a lot of "marine snow"?

Kwbyron:
Awsome, thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can do with it.. I was trying to spot it with my light, but it's not that bright. When ya'll use the flash, go you get a lot of "marine snow"?
You can get lots of backscatter with a flash. Using a difuser might help.

PADI also just released a crewpack for digital photo, you might consider spending the $30 as the book looks pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom