Green River Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think i will try and find some cordura fabric to make a sheath for it, so i can attach it to the leg/thigh.
Do what you want but leg mounting is simply not optimal for a multitude of reasons.

Leg straps fail

Can’t reach in emergency entanglement

Harder to reach

Point of entanglement

Mount it somewhere on your stomach waist line if you can, most here mount on 2 inch waist webbing on harness

Do what you want but leg mounting is simply not optimal for a multitude of reasons.

Leg straps fail

Harder to reach

Point of entanglement

Mount it somewhere on your stomach waist line if you can, most here mount on 2 inch waist webbing on harness

I originally was thinking of attach on the image arrows. like i said in the first post.

Seac-Sub-Smart-BCD.jpg

You can find cordura sheats for Green River knives here:

Riggers sheath long- Subsupply
Riggers sheath short- Subsupply

The knife (specially the round tip version) is a great tool when dealing with wrecks covered in fishing nets and mussels. It's the kind of tool to hit into the wreck to take rust out and reach behind it to see stainless steel markings, to cut the fishing nets when your hands are dead cold and so on. You made a great choice.

This:
wrecks:sighting.ppm.jpg [Romanian Black Sea Wrecks]
Is a stainless steel sighting device of a Russian WWII submarine that I have cleaned just with a Green River knife like you own.

Hello everyone, how are you all doing today?

I have a Question, I have this knife a Subaqua Green River knife with sheath, this knifes sheath is not the best one in terms of attaching to us, i can't put it on my leg.

The only place i see that i can attach it is to my BCD.I have this BCD
SEAC SMART BCD

View attachment 470279

And the only way I see i can attach it is with a stainless steel small "rig" like this one to the whole of the sheath to the top right side of the vest, on the cordura strap.

View attachment 470280
View attachment 470281

I would use the knife inverted witch is easier to draw and attach.

And the knife it self would be hold by this, witch is attached to the D ring right beneath the cordura strap.
would clamp it to the D Ring and the part of the knot would slide right on the thinner part of the knife handle so i never loose it and also prevents the knife and sheath from dangling when i'm horizontally.
View attachment 470282

What do you guys think? Is this the best option or would you suggest other?

Take care and safe dives

Why can't you put it on your leg? Try surgical tubing instead whatever straps it came with. Once you have it tied right the tubing will contract as your wetsuit compresses. It should never move out of place after that. My suggestion would be to have it on your thigh so the handle is where your hand would naturally come to rest when it is at your side.

Leg straps fail

Harder to reach

Point of entanglement

Leg straps fail if you don't check them, also I was taught to replace them at different times, from different lots.

Regardless of where you place a cutting tool, an entanglement may prevent one from reaching a knife, its a matter of how one makes up the story. I carry several cutting tools on different parts of my kit, as well as the BFK on the inside of my right calf, to minimize that situation.

The calf mounted knife is easily reached with either hand, the same knife on my right hip would be harder to reach with my left hand.

I have been entangled, but so far not from my knife. It seems to me that knives worn on the outside of ones body, say on the belt, would snag a line faster than sheltered by the leg.

On the positive side, and the reason that the inside of the calf was the origional placement of the knife, if one ditches their rig, they will still have their knife when they need it.

I wear my gear the way I have found works best for me, I have had buddies that set up their gear differently, and that is their choice. The only suggestion I would have is for a diver to think through their choices in an ongoing basis, occationally things change.

Leg straps fail if you don't check them, also I was taught to replace them at different times, from different lots.

Regardless of where you place a cutting tool, an entanglement may prevent one from reaching a knife, its a matter of how one makes up the story. I carry several cutting tools on different parts of my kit, as well as the BFK on the inside of my right calf, to minimize that situation.

The calf mounted knife is easily reached with either hand, the same knife on my right hip would be harder to reach with my left hand.

I have been entangled, but so far not from my knife. It seems to me that knives worn on the outside of ones body, say on the belt, would snag a line faster than sheltered by the leg.

On the positive side, and the reason that the inside of the calf was the origional placement of the knife, if one ditches their rig, they will still have their knife when they need it.

I wear my gear the way I have found works best for me, I have had buddies that set up their gear differently, and that is their choice. The only suggestion I would have is for a diver to think through their choices in an ongoing basis, occationally things change.

Interesting so far, I am a "newbee" to scuba board but I would like to add the following comment.
Someone has already said cutting fishing line and sorry to say all the other rubbish on the sea bed a cutting tool is essential for safe diving.
I carry a 'sharp' knife and a net cutter in my BC pocket, but, remember where ever you carry your knife make sure you can get to it with both hands, the lower part of your right leg for instance is difficult to get to with your left hand.

...the lower part of your right leg for instance is difficult to get to with your left hand.

On the inside of the right, or left as preferred, calf can be easily accessed by either hand, a reason the position was originally used.

Don’t listen to me, try it in the water.

Bob

Bob DBF you are quite correct, if it works for you, I was talking personally. I did try to add this on my first post
but it was removed as spam?

In my early days diving on wrecks with lots of fishing line and old nets I found knives on the lower leg and fin
buckles attracted line like a magnet, so I moved my knife and tape up my fin buckles as best I could.

Each to his own, I think fits. I believe the more ideas gives people more choice.

I have only had a couple of posts yet but, I digress, the reason I joined (apart from the good debates)
is that someone was looking for a rubber knife loop for their Wenoka dive knife, if you recognize the post
PM me I may be able to help, I may have a few lying around.

Back
Top Bottom