Greetings and Salutations from Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm headed to Circleville in a couple hours to dive this weekend. Ohio has numerous dive sites that are well run and maintained.

SW Pa? not so much. In fact, this area sucks for newer divers. There are places I can go to get wet but they don't offer the amenities that newer divers, who may not own all their own gear, require.

Ohio is a completely different setup. Lancaster, Circleville, Gilboa, White Star, and Newark have fills and cylinder rentals on site or just a few minutes away. Entry fees are reasonable for locations that have bathrooms, camping facilities, changing rooms, and even gear rentals.

There are other places that allow diving but you have to provide everything. State Parks and other campgrounds may be another option.

Don't let anyone tell you that local diving in Ohio is not that great. I've heard instructors tell their students that. Usually, as they are trying to sell them a trip that is going to set them back a couple grand and earn the instructor or shop a free spot.

Local diving will reinforce your skills, keep you sharp, is relatively inexpensive (depending on a few factors such as do you have your own gear, renting, etc.), and it's good for the activity. Local divers often end up owning their own gear. They often buy more of it since you may need to invest in a drysuit or multiple wetsuits for changing conditions. If you buy your own tanks you don't need to worry if a busy shop has enough to rent or has the ones you want.

I'm in Ohio a lot during the dive season. Teaching and for fun. If you ever want to get together and get a dive in give me a shout.

Bonaire is great! Go straight to The VIP Dive Shop if you want to hookup with a dive shop. I dove with Jürgen and Danielle but all of the instructors are amazing! Visibility there is about 50 feet on a good day, FYI. Don't listen to anyone who says 100+ feet. They are blowing smoke up your butt!! Great place to visit, though!

I'm headed to Circleville in a couple hours to dive this weekend. Ohio has numerous dive sites that are well run and maintained.

SW Pa? not so much. In fact, this area sucks for newer divers. There are places I can go to get wet but they don't offer the amenities that newer divers, who may not own all their own gear, require.

Ohio is a completely different setup. Lancaster, Circleville, Gilboa, White Star, and Newark have fills and cylinder rentals on site or just a few minutes away. Entry fees are reasonable for locations that have bathrooms, camping facilities, changing rooms, and even gear rentals.

There are other places that allow diving but you have to provide everything. State Parks and other campgrounds may be another option.

Don't let anyone tell you that local diving in Ohio is not that great. I've heard instructors tell their students that. Usually, as they are trying to sell them a trip that is going to set them back a couple grand and earn the instructor or shop a free spot.

Local diving will reinforce your skills, keep you sharp, is relatively inexpensive (depending on a few factors such as do you have your own gear, renting, etc.), and it's good for the activity. Local divers often end up owning their own gear. They often buy more of it since you may need to invest in a drysuit or multiple wetsuits for changing conditions. If you buy your own tanks you don't need to worry if a busy shop has enough to rent or has the ones you want.

I'm in Ohio a lot during the dive season. Teaching and for fun. If you ever want to get together and get a dive in give me a shout.
I can't wait for our trip to Gilboa next month! :)

Hello,
I just got my certification recently, and I am looking for a dive buddy. I live in dayton but willing to travel to any of the local quarries any weekend starting today please let me know if you are interested..
cheers

Hello,
I just got my certification recently, and I am looking for a dive buddy. I live in dayton but willing to travel to any of the local quarries any weekend starting today please let me know if you are interested..
cheers
If I were you I would take up @Jim Lapenta on his offer!

Back
Top Bottom