Greetings from Guantanamo Bay, CUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

armyscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently stationed overseas in GTMO for Operation Enduring Freedom. The Bay and the Caribbean has been great for diving. Too bad more people couldn't enjoy it. Hope You all have had a manageable winter and I know You all look forward to getting back in the water. Take Care.."OUT"

CPT D

Welcome to the Board! One of the few Americans to dive Cuba, though I did see you're a fellow New Englander! Air temps are getting near high fifties today, water temps getting into the mid 40's.

welcome aboard

Hi Captain welcome to the board.

I have a question:

I found a weird situation with Guantanamo bay. I asked PADI if I could teach PADI courses in Cuba, and they said no except for on the american army bases, because of the sanctions.

This means I cant teach peace loving cuban nationals, but I can teach Afgani Al Qaida terrorists.

The logic of this foriegn policy evades me, can anyone throw any light on this?

as for the logic behind it, you got me.

the immediate reason is that the US has laws prohibitting US nationals from earning or
spending money in Cuba.

hopefully, you won't teach any terrorists, though. were you
thinking of traveling to Afghanistan? i hear they have
lovely beaches :wink:

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

How nice to be able to dive there! Makes hard duty a lot better, I'll bet.

don

:D

cancun mark:
Hi Captain welcome to the board.

I have a question:

I found a weird situation with Guantanamo bay. I asked PADI if I could teach PADI courses in Cuba, and they said no except for on the american army bases, because of the sanctions.

This means I cant teach peace loving cuban nationals, but I can teach Afgani Al Qaida terrorists.

The logic of this foriegn policy evades me, can anyone throw any light on this?

I think I can shed some light on this logic. You can't teach SCUBA to terrorists at all. You would be teaching recreational SCUBA courses for the military members on base. The terrorists are prisoners and are not permitted to enjoy base recreation. If you want to teach SCUBA in GTMO you need to look up and call the base MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) and talk to them about it. If I knew more about how to set something like that up I would tell you. I hope this helps. :kopfab:

I just returned from a week in Grand Cayman. Great diving if you have the ops to get over there it's only a few miles. Looking forward to the day when FC takes the dirt nap and Cuba is open for business.
Peace Out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom