Greetings From the Land of Winter Weather Alerts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suppresst

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As I sit here at my computer I am off work today and maybe tomorrow, and was off for six days early February because of winter weather shutting down my place of employment. Can you imagine why I'm pleased to be planning, in this time, a dive trip with my wife, to Cayman Islands in June?

I learned to dive in So. California (anybody ever dived San Clemente Island) and then worked and dove for a time in Key Largo. Now my wife is going to get involved. Any tips at all about diving Cayman Islands will be appreciated.

Welcome!

I’m the opposite. Love winter and cold and only dive the Great Lakes (or one of the quarries). I’m one of the weirder ones here. :rofl3:

I did a 20 minute dive in the Atlantic today, wet in 38F water. Who cares.

Welcome. Where will you stay and who will you dive with in the Caymans? If you're diving 'the Caymans' (plural), that'd probably be the Aggressor V. Otherwise, you'll probably be staying (at mostly or completely diving) on one island.

I dove San Clemente as one of the islands we hit on a Truth Aquatics live-aboard trip; good stuff! Not that warm water diving, but in exchange I got the California perks of kelp, sea lions, harbor seals and different wildlife in a different ocean.

Richard.

Welcome! Never dove Clemente but did lots of San Diego diving (LaJolla) enjoy the Caymens!

I did a 20 minute dive in the Atlantic today, wet in 38F water. Who cares.

Welcome. Where will you stay and who will you dive with in the Caymans? If you're diving 'the Caymans' (plural), that'd probably be the Aggressor V. Otherwise, you'll probably be staying (at mostly or completely diving) on one island.

I dove San Clemente as one of the islands we hit on a Truth Aquatics live-aboard trip; good stuff! Not that warm water diving, but in exchange I got the California perks of kelp, sea lions, harbor seals and different wildlife in a different ocean.

Richard.

I guess I shouldn't second guess someone who dives in 38 degree water until I've tried it. Funny thing is, some of my most memorable life experiences have been in extreme conditions.

Regarding Caymans- I meant Grand Cayman. I have my OW but after 30 years I've agreed to take, as refresher, confined water and open water portions of OW with my wife, who is taking OW for first time. Then after two days of that we take day off and then dive Wednesday through Friday, starting shallow 50 to 60', and moving to deeper wall dives on Friday. The dive operator has discretion to take us where they like (north, west or south walls, reefs) each day depending on condition. Aggressor looks great for full-on intense diving but don't think my wife ready for that, and I'm not the most social creature in the world - I might chafe at being confined in close quarters with others on boat for a week.. If you've been on Aggressor, I'd be interested in your reflections (and on your fav Grand Cayman dive sites).

Richard.

Ooops, didn't completely read your message. Staying in condo near Bonnie's Arch and diving with Living the Dream. If you care to comment, interested in:

1. Best place to buy groceries
  2. Best fish market
  3. Best beach to hang out at when not diving (we like quiet, clean)
  4. Best things to do on our day off from diving
  5. Travel tips - best car rental (planning to use Thrifty car rental), or anything other tips.
  6. Any other random tidbit about enjoying this dive vacation you might like to share

I guess I shouldn't second guess someone who dives in 38 degree water until I've tried it. Funny thing is, some of my most memorable life experiences have been in extreme conditions.

Regarding Caymans- I meant Grand Cayman. I have my OW but after 30 years I've agreed to take, as refresher, confined water and open water portions of OW with my wife, who is taking OW for first time. Then after two days of that we take day off and then dive Wednesday through Friday, starting shallow 50 to 60', and moving to deeper wall dives on Friday. The dive operator has discretion to take us where they like (north, west or south walls, reefs) each day depending on condition. Aggressor looks great for full-on intense diving but don't think my wife ready for that, and I'm not the most social creature in the world - I might chafe at being confined in close quarters with others on boat for a week.. If you've been on Aggressor, I'd be interested in your reflections (and on your fav Grand Cayman dive sites).
Yeah. We normally "snowbird" 2-3 months, thus the reason I never owned a drysuit. But, if I don't find a way to winter dive I have from basically Nov. through April without diving as we haven't gone South the last 2 winters.
Yesterday I had calm seas and 25' viz, as opposed to the usual 1-2 foot viz and surge--no real fun.. It was kinda like diving in the Caribbean yesterday but frozen.

upload_2019-2-13_13-40-33.png

That was yesterday. It's a bit cooler today, but not too bad. You can always follow my weather here: Suwanee Countty, SE Weather | Personal Weather Station: KFLOBRIE4 by Wunderground.com | Weather Underground FWIW, here in Cave Country, the spring water is 72F year round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom