Greetings Scubaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pbetances

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello my name is Paul and just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Maryland and have been SSI certified for about 3yrs. I have had an interest in scuba though for over 20yrs. Anticipating my son Chris (13) will get his c-card by April this year. He has had interest in scuba for a few years now so he is looking forward to it as well. We are planning our first scuba trip together to the Florida Keys after he finishes his checkouts in MD.

I have mostly warm water Caribbean experience in places like Mexico (Riviera Maya), Caymen, Jamaica, Aruba, Dominican Republic and the like, with occasional dives in the local area quarrys. Looking forward to expanding experience to some cooler waters in the future as I acquire the appropriate gear for it.

Anyway I enjoy the information posted on this board and look forward to asking, answering, and posting going forward.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul
I'm a warm water junkie as well....quarries are great training and check off sites but otherwise, NO THANKS! I graduated Bel Air High alooooong time ago, but haven't lived in the stae for 30 years... Welcome to the board!
Michelle

Thx Michelle,

Always good to hear from folks familiar with our little part of the planet. At this stage in my dive experience I would consider myself 'Warm water preferred' possibly on my way to a 'junkie' but we will see. :wink:

With my son getting his c-card in April that may open up a whole new chapter of diving adventure and bonding for us....probably will need to do exclusively warm and clear water diving until he gets some experience under his weight integrated BCD.

Also shortys and 3-5mm wetsuits are so much less expensive than the colder water gear, I want to be sure that if I buy all that stuff that it will get used.

PB

Welcome to the board Paul. I agree cold water sucks! But a dive is a dive. WE just happen to live in an area that the water is colder. We do alot of our check out dives in Lake Rawlings. We were still using 3mm in oct, but had to go to 7mm in nov. No need for a dry suit at that point yet. Best of luck and hope to see you around.

Hi Paul,
welcome to scuba board.
Yes I also agree that diving in warmer water is nicer, but sometimes I miss the marine life you can see only in colder water. Diving is great anywhere!!!
And the greatest is diving with your kids. My son (29) and daughter (26) are divers too. And the dives with them are ones I enjoy the most.
Have fun, enjoy life

Yes pb, you will enjoy diving with your son. My son got certifired about 2 years ago...his first trip anywhere was bonaire !! What a great destination, especially for newbies!
Michelle

welcome aboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom