Grilled hog fish? Anyone tried it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Firediver32! Great choice on the hogfish! I cook mine on the grill. I take the filets and dip them in egg. From there toss them in crushed crackers (or cereal or breadcrumbs, or whatever you want). I have a piece of tin foil that I fold up about 1/2" of the sides. I pour a little olive oil on the foil and spread it around. Once the filets are covered in crackers, place them on the tin foil. Cook on the grill at 5 min per side (a little more if the filets are big, from a Hogfish that is say 20" or bigger). When you think it's done, take a fork and twist it in the fish. The filets should be flaky. If you want it a little different, spread shredded parmesean on about a minute before taking off the grill. Enjoy!

i love hogfish and my favorite method for cooking it is to gut and scale it and then brish the outside with liberal amounts of olive oil and garlic. then I stuff the inside cavity with fresh rosemary and basil, more garlic and then jam a few lemon chunks (thicker the better as it holds the meat apart and lets the heat get inside)

delicious

Add salt and crack black pepper to your recipe, then grill it on an olive wood fire(the smoke tastes special) in a fish cage type grille, basting it off the heat when you turn it over- Eat with- vino, crusty bread and some simple salad, simply magic, Adriatic style! Works good on Red snapper and Silver bream also.

To start I am new to spear fishing (not to diving). I will only shoot what I'll eat, and am kind of picky. I like hog fish, so thats what I plan on hunting for now. Has any one tried grilling it? any recipies/tips? Thanks.

Dan

Hog Fish is a site with some fancy ideas. Hog fish is good just wrapped in foil, with a little butter, salt/pepper and/or simple things like garlic.

After the first time I ate hogfish at a local restaraunt in the Keys I went out and bought a speargun. I was told that then don't take hooks. Perhaps this is their saving grace because for something that tastes this good they are amazingly dumb. I believe the last such species that tasted good and was dumb became extinct pretty quick...think Dodo bird.

Hey Firediver32! Grilled is the way to go! I dip the fish in instant mashed potato mix (I like loaded) then egg and put on a piece of tin foil that I have spread olive oil on. Grill for 5 minutes per side for average filets. Fish over 20" will need longer. At 10 minutes take a fork and twist it in the fish. If flaky, you're set! I tried coconut pineapple fish this weekend. Do the same as above, but roll the filets in shredded coconut after the egg step. At the 5 minute mark, put chunk pineapple on the foil with the fish. It came out sweet! Delicious! Good for you for only shooting what you eat! Try Mutton Snapper, Porgy, and even Trigger Fish. You'll like them too! When you get the filets cut, put them in the fridge soaking in milk. It's a good way to store the fish without getting any fishy smell or taste. Anything over 5-6 days should be frozen though. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom