Guadalupe River, New Braunfels, TX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone ever dived it, just curious about depth, temp, conditions, best spots, etc. Wife and I are taking a little time in a couple of weeks and thinking about taking the dive gear as well as the canoe and kayak, and checking it it. Seems to lots of info on the surface activities but not a lot on diving.
thanks

For the most part, the Guadalupe River is really shallow, and filled with tubers and kayakers this time of the year. While there may be some who have dived the Guadalupe, I have never heard anyone talking about it, and considering the depth on all parts of the Guadalupe I have floated (kayaks and tubes), I can't imagine where you could dive.

The Comal River at Hinman Island Park in New Braunfels is a better option: 8-15 feet deep, spring fed, very clear water unless it has rained recently, temps usually around 71F (Hinman Park is close to the spring origin), and it has a bathroom/changing room. There are concrete stairs leading into the water, but they can be really slippery with algae, so be careful. You can start the dive at Hinman Park, swim up river and then drift back to the start point as many times as your air will allow, or you can start at an RV park farther up the river and drift down to Hinman Park. The last option generally requires you to have two cars because the RV/tube park is on the other side of the river, and would be a pretty long walk. Just past Hinman Park, there are some tube chutes that some divers have gone through, but it is not my cup of tea. The only problem with the Comal River is that it is not very wide, and there are frequently a lot of tubers in the summer.

Canyon Lake is also fairly close to New Braunfels, warmer water, but not so great vis. There is a dive training area at North Park on the lake, but it is not restricted to divers, so boats can be an issue. Access to the water is pretty easy, and there are two dive platforms and some sunken stuff (boat, car, motorcycle, bike, etc.) all connected with a white rope on the bottom. The nearest dive op to the New Braunfels/Canyon Lake area that I would use is Duggan Diving in Universal City.

So, I got this underwater metal detector I'm wanting to play with and thought maybe it would be fun, I just didn't know what conditions to expect and it's a bit of a haul from N. Texas. I've dived (hiked :) ) both the San Marcos and Comal as part of trash clean ups. Thanks for the info. I may give it a try just to see what's there. At least I'll know whether or not to do it again...
thanks

I know the guy that runs the Giant Stride on lake Travis does a lot of recovery work and knows where the good spots are to dive to find stuff dropped by careless boaters

There are a lot of people who "treasure" dive both the Comal and San Marcos. The Loin's Club in SM runs a shuttle service from their shop to a downstream city park. Easy to find interesting stuff thrown/lost away over the years. Same applies to the Comal but you are going to get a lot more "recent" treasures lost from the tuber's.

Robert, Great Stride, is a superior person and the only instructor I considered for my wife's refresher dives before a trip to Coz. In Lake Travis, the party boats dock at Starnes Island and many pairs of sunglasses are lost.

I have dived the Guadalupe. As mentioned, it is very shallow, and filled with large rocks (which pop up unexpectedly right in front of you due to the current and low-ish viz). We nicknamed it the diver grinder. One star, would not do again.

The Comal is the river to dive in that area IMO and your metal detector may turn up some treasurers, particularly between the upper tube chutes and the lower ones, along the back side of Schlitterbahn.

Many years ago, I used to live in West Texas (San Angelo) and IIRC, I think that the Guadalupe River is better suited to water sports such as tubing or maybe snorkeling (if you want to get your head wet). I think that there are much better options in Texas such as maybe along the Gulf Coast.

Me and my daughter dove the Comal we parked at Price Solms park which has stairs which allow you access to the water. Water wasn't very deep 10-12' decent viz we walked as far upstream as we could get got in water temps were in the low 70's. It was a fun little dive we did manage to find about $60 bucks and an ungodly amount of sunglasses and other stuff. We were there for the tubing but did get some dives in early from about 730 till about 930 before too many people on tubes showed up there were several people diving with metal detectors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom