• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Guam: Man drowns while scuba diving

Discussion in 'Accidents & Incidents' started by DandyDon, Apr 18, 2011.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    From Saipan Tribune

2. CARHILL

CARHILL Contributor

FYI this happen on the Island of Saipan not Guam.

3. BuoyantC

BuoyantC Instructor, Scuba

This was probably a totally avoidable accident. The dive site is a very easy shore dive. We have heard more details of this, but it is all second hand information.

4. fjpatrum

fjpatrum Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I'm a little confused whether this was a class or just some divers out for an afternoon.

5. Iruka

Iruka Contributor

# of Dives:
    I agree, it's not really clear. It says there was an instructor with them, but I got the impression it wasn't a class..."invited him to go out diving with some friends." Also unclear is how many, if any (other than the instructor, of course) were certified divers. In this part of the world (Guam is pretty close to Saipan, for people not familiar with this area) a lot of people go diving uncertified, or certified people will take out uncertified friends. I should qualify that as "some people" rather than "a lot"....and this is all "private" diving....none of the dive shops support that practice.

Just reading between the lines, the fact that no-one attempted to get the victim from the bottom, reported to be only 5~6 meters (17~20 feet) would also make me think there may have been uncertified or very inexperienced divers. Unless they were all out of air, or visibility was really terrible, that wouldn't be very difficult for most compentent divers. But, as with most diving accidents, in the absence of facts, it's speculation.

6. Tortuga68

Tortuga68 Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Here we go again...