Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I know this won't be much good to the OP at this point, but for any others diving in Guam I have a couple of suggestions. I was there for a couple of months grand totaled time, and spent a good deal of it under the water. All of the good boat dives have pretty much been summed up above. The ones that I don't see mentioned are the few good beach dives, which are what I did most of.

A beach the locals call Gun Beach (where The Beach Bar is located just north of Tumon Bay) is a safe one to park your car at, with easy access and great stony coral formations both shallow and deeper. You can catch sight of rays here in the mornings, and its not a bad night dive location either. Just find the pipe going out into the water. It creates a channel through the shallow coral and provides an easy navigation tool.

Theres also the Fish Eye. Almost directly across the street from MDA's dive shop. Its another safe place to park, with easy access to walk into the water. More fish here than at Gun Beach, mostly because they get fed by the tourist attraction that is the Fish Eye. An underwater room for tourists to get a glimpse at the sealife, or do ocean walks (Snuba).

The last spot I'd really recommend for shore dives is the Asan cut. This one is just east of Asan Beach park site, and is more difficult of an access spot once you enter the water. This one is much safer if you have a local show you how to enter, but you can meet up with local guides who do guided dives for free. They typically meet at MDA, and you can ask about the schedule for these at the shop. Asan cut is a really cool dive that I recommend, but only for more experienced divers. Very cool underwater topography and rock formations, and even a cast off military personnel transport that can be found underwater.

I believe there are even some space-A flights from AZ or San Diego, which I've never tried before. Has anybody ever flown space-A to Guam?

Getting TO Guam Space-A isn't difficult. Getting BACK from Guam is next to impossible on Space-A. Most outbound flights from Guam end up cancelled, postponed or rerouted. I got to Guam times in the mid 2000's
on Space-A but always ended up having to fly back commercial after the Space-A missions were cancelled.

-Adrian

Does anyone have any recommendations for high end accom or live-aboards in guam? I've read some people say to get on a live-aboard out of Palau, but that seems a very long way to me to go by boat.. It's not for me, it's for a friend but they only travel in luxury
There are no live-aboard on Guam. If they want a live-aboard on Palau they would fly to Palau. They would not go to Palau by boat. There were a couple of nice yachts used for higher class diving on Guam. Just day trips unless your friends want to charter them for night dives or whatever. I loved diving on Guam but Palau has much better diving. Adventure-Ocean

So.. the person I was enquiring for apparently somehow managed to charter a live-aboard in Guam. I was told it was brand-new. Trying to get details to see if it is a new fixture or was just happening to be transiting the area.

I live on Guam and have been here for over 30 years, and also ran a dive business here. There are no live aboard dive boats here but I suppose if you visited the Agat Marina you could probably get a sailboat to take you out and overnight somewhere, although I've never heard of this being done. There are about 25 dive shops here and most of them catered to Asian divers, but there are two that offer full services to all local and military Divers.

A few years ago I created a website about diving Guam and it's become very popular. It lists over 75 dime sites that we have around the island and also has quite a bit of information on other destinations around the West Pacific.

Guam: Total Pacific Travel, Diving and Scuba Information

We met some years ago when my wife and I were stationed in Japan and travelled to Guam a LOT to dive. Glad to see you're active in the community still.

Sorry for the thread jack.

-Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom