GUE and Sidemount position ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen a few pics of 'high ranking' GUE divers in personalized XDeep sidemount rigs :)

From Quest, I gathered that it's basically something that you'd do above Cave 2 level...for dives that require sidemount (i.e. too restricted for backmount) and would not be mixed-teams. GUE doesn't have a training system (yet?) for sidemount... especially as they cannot reconcile procedures with existing backmount protocols (that's wisdom...)... so they suggest seeking sidemount training from a reputable sidemount instructor. If you're at a level, in GUE, to be needing sidemount... then you probably would know who those sidemount instructors are...

I read all of your Sidemount articles on your website! Congratz for that. Unfortunatly I can't copy/past to print it ? 'Cause I'm working / learning better if it's not online and on paper where I can write on it.

This is why I would get a decent answer about it (at least some directions)
Who are Sidemount expert, Sidemount course director or trainer, Sidemount Cave-Wreck-Technical SM instructor.

Viewing your Signature I believe you are one of them DevonDiver?

Because side mount is a complete and utter cluster **** for standard open water diving, it is a PITA on boats.

Could be, I haven't much experience with that. I had two dives in Malta with a guide who used sidemount and it looked very smooth and comfortable going. Though he was the only one on boat with the sidemount setup.

Because GUE is about standardization, which is not clearly done in sidemount.

edit: Just so we're clear, that doesn't mean that no GUE diver ever uses sidemount or a rebreather out of the scopes where they are required.
You could standardize it. Why not?

I didn't say it couldn't be done. I said it's not clearly done.

The only ones that standardized it AFAIK are UTD. Now I'm not sure you wanna talk about their system :p

Well this can be interesting to know how UTD standardized Sidemount diving.

- Is it possible to use our Backmount' regulators for Sidemount diving ?
In that case there are not much to buy to standardize that - or I am totally wrong about it ?

If you search youTube for "UTD Z-system" you will find videos where the principle of a "DIR" side mount setup are discussed.

Like a LOT of "DIR" , theres a lot of flame and smoke and politics around the idea, I use the system and I love it but that's in MY diving situation with MY needs and MY preferences.

YMM, as always, V.

Sure thank you so much this is a good point.
Which agencies I should go with to have a good Sidemount training ?

Instructors, not agencies. There are apparently more politics in sidemount instruction than there are in cave diving. So there are a lot of highly skilled instructors out there. But there are also apparently a bunch of people teaching sidemount that read a book once. Choose people with a good track record of producing the kind of diver you want to be.

I totally understand.
So even if Sidemount is not official supported by GUE there are no problems to goahead and enroll a Sidemount course.
I believe I will have to found those instructors myself can I get some names by any chance please ?
Thanks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom