GUE/DIR recovery dive in California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Um ... you guys are aware that you're responding to a post that had been inactive for 3.5 years ... right?

:eyebrow:

There's several things in the post that indicate he's talking about a different bunch of divers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

I didn't notice that. Someone PM'd me with a link to this thread saying that someone was chucking us under the bus so I just responded. In any event, Tobin is correct, no way would I be using Sport Chalet for Trimix fills since they don't even pump Nitrox and we don't dive OMS tanks. However, I am aware that another team was hired by the family in the immediate aftermath of the accident. Their efforts were unsuccessful so law enforcement took over the search and used our team for the recovery. One of the other team members asked if he could be part of our team. Naturally, we declined. I suspect to the extent the underlying post has any merit to it, they may be confusing our team with the other team.

Sorry about bringing up an old post, but I didn't realize it wasn't a recent post.

Regards

boomx5:
Even so...I'm glad you cleared up the confusion Mike.

I noticed it, but since it had been resurrected, thought it needed to be laid to rest!

Just getting back from SoCal and wanted to give a plug to Sports Chalet. Coming from out of state, I was very impressed with the professional service down there, especially the Mission Viego shop. Although the shops only pump air, they have a policy to fill pony 30cf and less for free. My 6cf DS Bottle was filled promptly with air, tank O-rings lubed and replaced, and she even provided handouts and contacts for local boats. I was in and out in a jiffy. Just wonderful.

Sincerely,
H2

MHK:
Bob,

I didn't notice that. Someone PM'd me with a link to this thread saying that someone was chucking us under the bus so I just responded. In any event, Tobin is correct, no way would I be using Sport Chalet for Trimix fills since they don't even pump Nitrox and we don't dive OMS tanks. However, I am aware that another team was hired by the family in the immediate aftermath of the accident. Their efforts were unsuccessful so law enforcement took over the search and used our team for the recovery. One of the other team members asked if he could be part of our team. Naturally, we declined. I suspect to the extent the underlying post has any merit to it, they may be confusing our team with the other team.

Sorry about bringing up an old post, but I didn't realize it wasn't a recent post.

Regards

Understandable that you'd want to clear it up ... of course, I picked up on the "clues" right away that he couldn't have been talking about your team. But not everyone would ... and you have every right to want to avoid an Internet character assassination ... :crafty:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i reckon theres 2 sides to this story. ive heard one side, whats the gue side?

California Diver:
i reckon theres 2 sides to this story. ive heard one side, whats the gue side?

The "gue side" was answered in post #13.

Having met Michael I can assure you that he ...

- doesn't use OMS cylinders
- doesn't use Aqualung regulators
- and definitely doesn't dive air to 247 feet

Michael is neither a braggart nor a bully ... and even though when I first met him he knew I was somewhat hostile to GUE, he was polite and engaging. There is nothing about him that would suggest to me that he would behave in the manner described by the Sport Chalet employee.

I have no idea who this employee dealt with on that day ... but I'm as certain as I can be without having actually been there that it wasn't Michael Kane.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

im not saying it was him that was there because i know who was at the sport chalet. i was wondering why they had not found the body and the gue guys were called in. i had heard they even had a helicopter

Hey Mike,

Sorry about throwing the A-hole bomb out there. You have always been very nice and answered any questions I have asked. I'd forgotten about this post a long time ago.

Cheers,
Jamie

California Diver:
im not saying it was him that was there because i know who was at the sport chalet. i was wondering why they had not found the body and the gue guys were called in. i had heard they even had a helicopter

If the R.I.P. to Steve in your post is who I believe it is, then perhaps it's best to avoid this discussion. I purposely was ellusive in my post for that reason, and I see no benefit to discussing this issue publicly at this time.

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom