GUE Fundamental course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgreider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did a search but everything is pretty old. I'm looking for some recent experience with the GUE Fundamentals course. I am a PADI Rescue, EAN, etc. but really would like to hear about this class to improve my diving and learn a lot.
What exactly is the course like? How is the best way to choose and instructor/location? Any help is appreciated and I'm looking to take it next summer.
Thanks for the help.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Later in this thread, a vigorous discussion of Dual-bladder Wings has been split off into a new thread: Dual Bladder Wings - A Good Choice for Redundancy?

For whatever it's worth, I've taken Part I only, which is usually an option. Part I focuses on bouyancy, trim, and propulsion, which were the skills I wanted to practice right, before I started messing around with narc-inducing depths and other avoidable challenges. You're a lot farther along so you probably want the full course.

Where are you located? I liked my instructor and would recommend him, but there might be someone just as good or better and closer to you.

With GUE everything should be pretty stadardized, so choosing the instructor and location makes less difference than with others.
The Fundies is a skills course, so a platform with barely decent visibility is what you need. The instructor will take care of everything else.

Hi there! I went through the course in the Bay Area a few weeks ago as a wetsuit diver with 50ish dives in a single tank who was already in a mostly GUE approved configuration. Funny enough, I had most of the pieces I needed to meet the GUE requirements, like a BP+W, but it was not set up properly. My instructor, Alberto Nava, helped out with that and a number of other things throughout the course.

What exactly is the course like? On the surface, GUE Fundamentals is a class that provides divers the opportunity to advance basic diving skills. Seems simple enough, right? I remember being in your shoes researching Fundies. I felt fairly prepared going in after reading the course materials, talking with several divers who completed the course, and reading a number of reviews on Reddit/Scubaboard. Despite all my research, I wasn't fully prepared for what I felt and learned throughout class.

It’s my understanding GUE Fundamentals may vary slightly depending where you take it. For instance, the GUE Fundamentals class in the Bay Area is 6 days - 4 days in the classroom as well as the pool, 2 the following weekend in the ocean. However, the classes in LA are simply 4 days or even broken into Fundamentals 1 and 2 in some cases. One thing that remains the same is recording each skill and reviewing it as a group. Video feedback was crucial throughout the class. The lens of truth revealed quite a few things we didn’t realize we were doing in the water such as sculling our feet.

Classroom work was typical. Went over the course materials and simplified formulas GUE uses to figure out minimum gas, turn pressure, etc. First day we also looked over our equipment and made adjustments as needed. Days 2-4 we split between the classroom and pool. I was miserable in my semi-dry wetsuit throughout the pool dives (up to 90 minutes) and had a tough time focusing. Your mileage may vary here since my teammates felt fine — so lucky! Final two days were spent in the ocean reviewing what we practiced in the pool plus the SMB deployment. Toughest thing on the first day was controlled descents and ascents hands down since we couldn’t practice this much in an 8ft pool. Most surprising thing was the proper weight check after the first dive; I cut my lead in half! Pretty neat.

How is the best way to choose and instructor/location? I took the class solely based on proximity. I'm a 10-15 minute drive from the LDS we did the classroom and pool work in while the ocean was about 1.5hrs away. I think this is a great way to go depending on your location of course. I've seen course reports where divers have flown across the country or world even to take the class. Curious to see how everyone else determines where to go!

In summary, I highly recommend GUE Fundamentals! It is a fantastic class that challenges you in ways I haven’t experienced with other courses and is a great introduction to diving with the GUE community.

I did it last year and can not recommend it enough. Best course I’ve ever done including outside of diving. The course is demanding and is usually 10+ hrs each day for 4 days. Instructor is whichever one you choose and location is either convenience or normally a warm water destination.
It seems that you need to read the reports already written here on SB. Look up GUE Fundamentals and they’ll bloody come up!

Look at all of them before you bother asking more questions... that way you can find more relevant, accurate answers.

After you read the reports, I’d be more than happy to answer your questions either here or by PM:)

Try searching for Fundies rather than Fundamentals. There's plenty of reports.

Really though.. i doubt much has changed in the last 5 years, the course material certainly hasn't. People used to write reports all the time as it wasn't as well known and there was a strong anti DIR movement in place. The seems to have softened and Fundies is now regularly recommended here

Fundamentals – Back to Basics - [My UK course report]
GUE Fundamentals Class

DIR- Generic - Completed GUE Fundies Provisional

If you are more than just a little interested, find a GUE instructor where you may take a course. They should be willing to email and talk to help determine if it is right for you.

Back
Top Bottom