GUE Fundamental course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently I enrolled in a GUE course in Sydney, and didn't do very well. It was the first time I had worn a back plate. I had poor buoyancy and struggled to maintain it, in trim (horizontal), in the shallow depth and under task loading. Since the course my RMV rate (the call it SCR) has dropped from 24 to 18 (after only 7 more dives), my hands don't flail about as much, and I think maybe I learned alot more than I thought, when I disappointingly, received a provisional.

I went out and immediately bought a back plate/wing/reg set/jet fins and I'm now in the pool alot trying to get better buoyancy. I would also recommend looking at the GUE.TV website its free for the first 3 days, they have good tips on buoyancy and drills that will help you improve, before attending.

I live in Perth 2,500 miles away so its not easy for me to go back and get re-tested for a rec pass, but I'm certainly considering it.
Hey well done for getting a provisional and having the determination to attain the full pass. Not many would be passionate about scuba as to travel 2,500 miles to get an instructors re-evaluation.

My thought was to notate what marks on the webbing for 7mm wetsuit, neoprene drysuit, laminate drysuit, etc. and then easily position the webbing to those locations prior to donning the equipment depending on what I’m wearing..

Its way way cheaper to buy generic for any major differences. neoprene dry vs 7mm farmer john and jacket wetsuit are going to be the same. The major difference is most divers not wanting to fly with a SS plate so they have a cheap Ali plate with warmwater suit dimensions.

As you'll learn once someone takes the time to fit you properly... The shoulder straps dont change much suit to suit. They are left fairly loose. The crotch strap is what pulls everything into place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom