GUE Fundamentals or similar near Denver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matthb2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any of you Denver/Boulder area folks have a recommendation for something like the intro GUE courses locally? I don't have any immediate tech diving ambitions or even really need another card -- just want to become a better diver and maybe have an excuse to dive locally a bit this fall. Looking to know what I don't know and be a bit more self sufficient -- not necessarily a specific specialty/agency/etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

You can get GUE Fundamentals at Flatirons Scuba in Broomfield. It am pretty sure that is the only place in the state.

I teach a PADI distinctive specialty that goes through essentially the same skills but with an understanding that it more of a workshop than a formal class. There is no passing and failing; you just get a solid introduction to the skills with an understanding that you are on your own to reach whatever level of achievement you would like.

I did talk to Flatirons -- apparently they used to have a GUE instructor but don't anymore (despite their website's claims). I was hoping they just switched shops but haven't been able to find anything out -- the nearest that GUE's website mentions is out of the Salt Lake area.

I'll DM you my contact info -- sounds like your workshop might be a good starting point

Mer Tanguay is about to start a tour of the central US states. Look her up.

Wetrocksdiving.com

@mer is not doing her big tour this year due to COVID spikes. She is back in Florida as of last week and while Wet Rocks is still teaching fundies, the late spring tour and summer Hawaii trip is off for this year unfortunately. She does not really get out anywhere near Denver though, typically stays east of Mississippi. Hopefully she'll pipe in later.

I did talk to Flatirons -- apparently they used to have a GUE instructor but don't anymore (despite their website's claims).
Well, that has me curious. Their GUE instructor was a shop co-owner, and I never heard he was leaving. Perhaps he let that certification lapse. Fundies was the only GUE course he taught. He also taught NAUI tech, and he used Fundies as a required introduction to that.

I'm not sure the guy that I talked to at Flatirons really knew what I was asking about but he called someone and got me a no when he couldn't find anything in their posted schedule. I suppose this isn't a super common ask here in the land-locked part of the country. The whole thing didn't make the best first impression so I didn't dig deeper than that.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well -- Looks like I'm a couple states farther west than the wetrocks tour was planned to get, but I'll send them an email anyway.

Well, that has me curious. Their GUE instructor was a shop co-owner, and I never heard he was leaving. Perhaps he let that certification lapse. Fundies was the only GUE course he taught. He also taught NAUI tech, and he used Fundies as a required introduction to that.

that's idiotic given that NAUI's intro to tech is basically the same course....

Reviving this thread for a few reasons…

1) OP - what did you end up deciding? I’m in the same boat in Denver metro now - looking to build upon my skills with an intro to tech/fundies style course.

2) @boulderjohn - tried to DM you but since I lurk too much, I need to post 5 times to DM :) would be interested to connect if you’re still doing that workshop. Sounds interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom