DIR- GUE GUE fundamentals, tec pass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I decide to take T1, I will probably practice with peers in areas that I know I'm weak in. I have two friends who failed it, which has set the bar high for my pre-course expectations!

Sorry, do you really mean they failed? Or do they just got a provisional?

Failed failed. I spoke to one of them about it and he said his instructor doesn't do provisionals... so !

They were really gutted of course but went on to work on their fundamentals and eventually got their T1 the second time.

This is ugly. The course costs a bunch of money, so in case a diver is likely to improve enough in 6 months, since a "provisional" evaluation exists, instructors should use it... where was it, if I may ask?

Btw, good idea to work on your weaknesses. Normally you should improve a lot on your weaknesses during the course itself I guess (in the end, you are paying for improving, right?)... but the more your base is solid, the more you can take from the course. I am doing the same, many many dives with a direct ascent from the bottom to the surface "in the blue", and plenty of valve-drills in the column at 6 meters, without any reference for the depth besides the line and my buddy

There’s no way to add offboard gas.

I thought there was a mav that could be added to allow offboarding. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I assumed the class was taught with both a long hose and bungeed second. Sounds like no.

I quoted the wrong part of your post in relation to offboarding.

Sorry, do you really mean they failed? Or do they just got a provisional?

Provisionals are a fundies thing. The tech courses--Cave 1, Tech 1, etc are for the most part pass/fail. I think I am aware of one instance where a student was missing one skill and the instructor
This is ugly. The course costs a bunch of money, so in case a diver is likely to improve enough in 6 months, since a "provisional" evaluation exists, instructors should use it... where was it, if I may ask?

Btw, good idea to work on your weaknesses. Normally you should improve a lot on your weaknesses during the course itself I guess (in the end, you are paying for improving, right?)... but the more your base is solid, the more you can take from the course. I am doing the same, many many dives with a direct ascent from the bottom to the surface "in the blue", and plenty of valve-drills in the column at 6 meters, without any reference for the depth besides the line and my buddy

Provisional is a fundies thing. Upper level courses are Pass/Fail. This isn't some open book exam where you get to keep all your previous right answers and only change the ones you got wrong. You want to pass the test you need to go home, study, and take it all over again.

Yeah... but it is what it is. One failed on day 1 and the other failed on day 5. It wasn't a case of deciding at the end of the course that the student wasn't quite meeting standards, but more of the student struggling to keep up with the pace of training that they had to be sent home.

Maybe some instructors add extra days at their discretion to handle this, but T1 at 6 days is already a long course.

I think it's also the type of performance flaw that they take into consideration. One of my C1 coursemates had a bunch of fundamental issues but still had great problem solving, teamwork, and most importantly wasn't creating a dangerous situation. Managed to overcome them one breakthrough at a time and was up to speed by day 5 :)

Provisional is a fundies thing. Upper level courses are Pass/Fail. This isn't some open book exam where you get to keep all your previous right answers and only change the ones you got wrong. You want to pass the test you need to go home, study, and take it all over again.

Not true at all. I know people who have gotten provisionals on both tech and cave classes.

Yeah... but it is what it is. One failed on day 1 and the other failed on day 5. It wasn't a case of deciding at the end of the course that the student wasn't quite meeting standards, but more of the student struggling to keep up with the pace of training that they had to be sent home.

Maybe some instructors add extra days at their discretion to handle this, but T1 at 6 days is already a long course.

I think it's also the type of performance flaw that they take into consideration. One of my C1 coursemates had a bunch of fundamental issues but still had great problem solving, teamwork, and most importantly wasn't creating a dangerous situation. Managed to overcome them one breakthrough at a time and was up to speed by day 5 :)

Just to clarify for people who may not be aware.

To fail (essentially be dropped by instructor) on day 1 means the student was completely unprepared for the course and would have slowed down the progress of all other students. You will see this sometimes when a student gets their tech pass from fundies and either doesn't dive from fundies to T1/C1 class or got tech pass a long time ago and hasn't really been keeping up with the skills. It does not happen very often, but it does happen.

The fail on day 5 means that the student went through class and the skills were ok, but were not up the level of passing. Day 5 and 6 of Tech 1 are the OW trimix experience dives. It looked like the student wasn't going to pass so there is no reason for them to spend all the money on helium OC dives. If they were close you might see the instructor take an extra day of shallower water and then do the experience dives (make it a 7 day course), but if the instructor has one student that is on course with passing Tech 1 in the allotted 6 days he has an obligation to continue with that student.

Provisionals are a fundies thing. The tech courses--Cave 1, Tech 1, etc are for the most part pass/fail. I think I am aware of one instance where a student was missing one skill and the instructor

I understand your point of view, but then why the provisional exist? Also, there are many examples of provisional at higher levels here on scubaboard, and I personally know one guy who got a provisional on T2, so apparently some instructors think this is a possibility...

A fail at day 1 is something totally understandable; I can imagine the diver got the tec-pass a bit of time before and therefore skills are a bit rusted - it basically means that the diver is not ready. At day 5 over 6 it is a bit weirder, but still acceptable if the instructor was already highlighting and discussing some weaknesses before, and the diver did not manage to catch up... My point is that if you manage to arrive at the 6th day without posing any real trouble to the team, then a fail is a bit too much

Provisional is a fundies thing. Upper level courses are Pass/Fail. T
There are provisional passes for courses beyond Fundies. A provisional could be given for needing to redo a skill, like an unconscious diver recovery, having to redo the swim test or breath hold tests, etc

Not true at all. I know people who have gotten provisionals on both tech and cave classes.
Yes provisionals have been granted at the discretion of and with an individual instructor for as long as I can recall. The record at HQ is a fail, but you could do makeup work with your instructor for the pass. I was a T1 provisional 15 yrs ago. My wife was a C1 provisional about 13 yrs ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom