GUE Fundie Classes & Amazing dive experiences in Jan & Feb 2011 Ft Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Errol Kalayci

Contributor
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, Bob Sherwood and I will be conducting a GUE Fundamentals class in the Fort Lauderdale area in Jan and Feb of 2011. The first day of the classes are as follows: Jan 26th and Feb 14th. These are not split classes, but separate. The Feb class is going to have organized "fun" dives before and after in the Palm Beach area for various diver levels. These will both be pretty special classes with more details later as things evolve. We are trying to organize some GUE/DIR type travel deals in conjunction with the classes and fun dives. We may also offer some other unique and amazing things for the fun dives like guided dpv trips or things most people do not get to do....depending on diver qualifications and experience. If interested, please contact me or Bob. South Florida Dive Journal will likely be showcasing some of the upcoming events so be on the look out for that as well.
Errol Kalayci

I already wrote to Bob about this . . . my husband and I are VERY interested in getting involved in the adventure diving for the February trip.

My husband and I are also very interested in the experience dives! Depending on the exact dates, we'd definitely look to make the trip to Florida...can't wait to hear more of the details!

Oh, Jen, that would be cool -- although it would be kind of funny, finally to meet you and Chris, only in Florida!

Oh, Jen, that would be cool -- although it would be kind of funny, finally to meet you and Chris, only in Florida!

Nothing wrong with finally meeting you in Florida! Though, we do hope to make a trip up to Seattle at some point!! :)

My husband and I are also very interested in the experience dives! Depending on the exact dates, we'd definitely look to make the trip to Florida...can't wait to hear more of the details!

Lucky!!! Flying straight from Roatan to Florida?? :wink:

Color me jealous.

This sounds like a really fun event. I'd love to join, but highly doubt vacation time and money will be available. I'll keep it on my radar though, just in case.

The fun dives will begin after the Fundy class ends on February 18th. It may be possible to have a night dive on the 18th but I don't know yet. We plan to have 2 tank dives on Saturday and Sunday mornings and afternoons. We are going to operate out of Brownie's South Port in Fort Lauderdale. We will use one of their boats as well.

I am going to visit the hotel and try and get a group discount as it appears enough people are coming from out of town for the Hotel to give us a better rate. I won't know until Monday but I am looking at Bahia Cabana on Fort Lauderdale beach which is walking distance to training pool, has its own pool, water taxi to dive shop or 5 min car, it is on the beach, has live music, bar, restaurant and can walk to many other options as well. The boat may be allowed to pick us up at the hotel.

May be able to use meeting room for video review of fun dives and thought someone may want their team to do it as a project/goal for everyone to watch each night, etc. Either me or Bob can video if no one else wants to do it. So stay tuned for details, almost done nailing them down.
Regards,
Errol

Bob Sherwood and I are teaching a Fundy class together from Feb 14-18, 2011 in Palm Beach. The weekend following the class (Feb 18-20) we have organized some very fun, adventure type dives which we will both be guiding. Further, South Florida Dive Journal will be covering the events. We will also film the dives and show them each night with some free lectures from Bob & I and perhaps some special guests as well.

Originally, we were going to operate out of Fort Lauderdale but have instead moved everything to Palm Beach. We have a much nicer hotel now for the same price or less than we initially had available. Our host hotel will be the Hilton which is directly on the Ocean in Singer Island. We are negotiating special discounted rates but the GM is on vacation until Monday due to the Holiday. The cost should be under $120 per night range. For a very nice Hilton on the Ocean in South Florida in season that is an incredible deal so wait to get the discount code from me. We have blocked off enough rooms that you need not worry until we send out the discount code. Sorry for any inconveinance in changing the venue but the new accomodations are simply worth it and we have terrific dives/operator lined up.

Since many of you are flying in, you can fly into Fort Lauderdale if it is easier or more effective or if you already made flight plans, but that airport is about 35 miles South of Palm Beach International (Palm Beach International would be closest choice) which is fairly close to your hotel and where we will be running out of to dive.

One schedule dive is Hole in the Wall. If you have not dove Hole in the Wall, you are in for a very nice suprise as it is one of the best sites anywhere. Not many trips are run there due to some complexity but the rewards are immense. We have dpvs available for the dives for people that want them. Feel free to ship your own if you like. We will run 2 -2 tank dives on both Sat and Sunday. Email me for further details. Errol@tdsdivers.com or PM or just post your questions. For those who I have already spoken with I will send you an email as soon as I can.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Errol Kalayci

Thanks for the update, Errol.

Need to recheck flights to Palm Beach, but hopefully we can find something that works.

A few questions:

(1) Are all the dives in the recreational range (say max 100')?
(2) Any estimates for charter costs?
(3) Cylinder rentals and gas fills (32%)?
(4) Any plans for a night dive on Fri (I think this had been mentioned earlier)?
(5) Any plans in place for those wanting to arrive a day early and dive on Friday as well?
(6) Is a rental car going to be needed? Seemed like we could get away without in Ft Lauderdale, but I've no idea about PB.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom