gue fundies pre reqs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In certain regions its probably easier to stumble into good instruction - or at least figure out there are grades of quality that are worth paying for vs. just getting a card to allow you on the boat or whatnot.

I suspect the PNW and BC have a higher than average ratio of good to great instructors vs. other places. I know you can still end up with crappy instruction here but given the current state of the industry and basic economics there will always be the bare bones C-card mill out there.

I think its great that the OP wants to take Fundies. I think if they go in like a sponge and avoid stressing about pass-fail business they will have a fun time and learn alot regardless of how much prior experience they have (20 dives vs. 200+ dives). And regardless if they plan to continue in the GUE curriculum, although the course is prepatory for that.

I don't think that "everyone" should take Fundies or similar courses. As if Fundies were somehow the minimum barometer of a diver. A) they clearly aren't interested in many cases and B) basic economics means that some people really do just want the card. Aka they don't want to work at diving.

Its a big ocean and I see no reason to get preachy about how "everyone" should take GUE-F or similar.

I don't think everyone should take Fundies. But I do think everyone who dives should have good buoyancy control, control of their trim, the ability to leave a dive site the way they found it, and good buddy skills. I also think everybody should get some education in gas management, and know a little more about decompression than to surface when the numbers get low on their computer. How they learn these things is up to them, but classes like Fundies or Essentials can make the process shorter and more efficient.

I don't think everyone should take Fundies. But I do think everyone who dives should have good buoyancy control, control of their trim, the ability to leave a dive site the way they found it, and good buddy skills. I also think everybody should get some education in gas management, and know a little more about decompression than to surface when the numbers get low on their computer. How they learn these things is up to them, but classes like Fundies or Essentials can make the process shorter and more efficient.

From what I have gathered the past year with plotting my own path for more training steering a new diver to UTD or GUE is the best advise that can be given IMO. Their extensive resources, structured ciriculum and standards virtually guarantees the proper education of a diver who wants to be as competent, safe and knowledgable as they posiably can.

Should a diver wish to matriculate rather quickly through the progression from recreational to technical diver with GUE or UTD an experienced mentor who has passed through the ranks should be located to further train with skills and theory...

Last edited:
In certain regions its probably easier to stumble into good instruction - or at least figure out there are grades of quality that are worth paying for vs. just getting a card to allow you on the boat or whatnot.

I suspect the PNW and BC have a higher than average ratio of good to great instructors vs. other places. I know you can still end up with crappy instruction here but given the current state of the industry and basic economics there will always be the bare bones C-card mill out there.

I think its great that the OP wants to take Fundies. I think if they go in like a sponge and avoid stressing about pass-fail business they will have a fun time and learn alot regardless of how much prior experience they have (20 dives vs. 200+ dives). And regardless if they plan to continue in the GUE curriculum, although the course is prepatory for that.

I don't think that "everyone" should take Fundies or similar courses. As if Fundies were somehow the minimum barometer of a diver. A) they clearly aren't interested in many cases and B) basic economics means that some people really do just want the card. Aka they don't want to work at diving.

Its a big ocean and I see no reason to get preachy about how "everyone" should take GUE-F or similar.

The PNW sure seems to have it's share of knowledgable posters here on SB. I made that observation soon after joining SB. Speaking of quality posters from the PNW where has Doc Intrepid been?

We finally agree on something today. There is almost no chance of stumbling on the best paths in scuba training IMO.

LOL, we probably agree on much more than that. Hopefully the 'big picture' stuff, not whether some thread on the internet belongs in one forum vs another (which I wouldn't have given the first thought had someone else not brought it to the table).

FWIW, I think I was one of the lucky 'stumblers'.

LOL, we probably agree on much more than that. Hopefully the 'big picture' stuff, not whether some thread on the internet belongs in one forum vs another (which I wouldn't have given the first thought had someone else not brought it to the table).

Marc are you planning on stumbling up here in 2010?? :eyebrow:

:thumb:

So, let me see if I have this right -- if you wish to take Tech training from GUE, you have a to take a $1,200 course (plus travel costs or flying in an instructor?!) to pass what amounts to a pre-entry exam to tech training? Is that regardless of individual experience or certifications from other agencies?

So, let me see if I have this right -- if you wish to take Tech training from GUE, you have a to take a $1,200 course (plus travel costs or flying in an instructor?!) to pass what amounts to a pre-entry exam to tech training? Is that regardless of individual experience or certifications from other agencies?

Essentially. Although the course fee generally ranges betweeen $500-$600 + travel, lodging, etc. If you are seeking the tech pass you would be well advised to seek a mentor (qualified GUE diver) to prepare you for the class....Class information link below...

GUE Fundamentals | Global Underwater Explorers

Last edited:

Most instructors charge less than $1,200.

Its not a "pre-entry" exam, its a course. And yes its probably going to be difficult to get a tech pass on the first go absent someone local to give you a leg up on the material. Because, you probably aren't as awesome a diver as you think you are - you'll have some weak spots to either address quickly and demonstrate they are rectified in a couple days, or accept a provisional and repeat a day or 2 with your instructor.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom