Gue Fundies Vs Rec-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Y'all!

I was looking into doing a Fundies course to get my diving up to par since it seems everyone everywhere has the same opinion: it is a kick-ass course that helps in many ways. I contacted both the dive instructors available in my country and it seems they both have the same opinion, they prefer I get my # of dives up (which I agree with, but I was with the mentality that I prefer to know more when I do hehe). Since I do not have "normal" weekends, I do not fit both their schedules either. So I guess I'm back to the waiting game for now.

While I wait...

One of them made the suggestion of doing a Rec-1 course instead of the Fundies. That way he can work with me 1on1 and I get more "water/dive" time than a Fundies course. BUT the price is higher (around 200$ more) AND the # of days needed are longer (2 extra days)...

So, here's my question: what would you do?

Some reference: I desperately need help with my bouyancy, kicks, breathing to start. I know for a novice I shouldn't worry too much and enjoy under water time, but due to a bad last dive (blew through my air extremely fast in cold water, my first time in: cold water, nitrox, and a semi drysuit in a wavey ocean...) I really need to work on those issues...

Thanks!

p.s. if ever you decide to learn how to dive in the UAE, please send me a private msg first and I'll tell you who NOT to go with... It's partly why I am in this mess of trying to get my posture underwater fixed...

I haven't asked that of them yet... Mostly since our schedules are quite different. Due to my profession (retail) I have quite the hectic and unstable schedule.

may be the best way to do it, just get them for single day intense training sessions. Most of the technical instructors here charge $200/day and since you only need to be in a pool, it shouldn't be that hard to get a day at a time until you are ready for fundies.

I desperately need help with my bouyancy, kicks, breathing to start. I know for a novice I shouldn't worry too much and enjoy under water time, but due to a bad last dive (blew through my air extremely fast in cold water, my first time in: cold water, nitrox, and a semi drysuit in a wavey ocean...) I really need to work on those issues...

I'd recommend Fundies 1 (used to be called Primer) - my wife and I did it with about 25 dives each and it was great. It focuses on exactly the stuff you mentioned you need help with and keeps task loading to a minimum. It's a couple of days shorter than the regular Fundies class, cheaper and once you have more experience dives, you can move forward with part 2 where they cover the skills that require good buoyancy control (SMB shoot, air share ascent, etc).
If you do Rec 1 now and want to proceed in the GUE course ladder, you'll have to do Fundies anyway.

I'd recommend Fundies 1 (used to be called Primer) - my wife and I did it with about 25 dives each and it was great. It focuses on exactly the stuff you mentioned you need help with and keeps task loading to a minimum. It's a couple of days shorter than the regular Fundies class, cheaper and once you have more experience dives, you can move forward with part 2 where they cover the skills that require good buoyancy control (SMB shoot, air share ascent, etc).
If you do Rec 1 now and want to proceed in the GUE course ladder, you'll have to do Fundies anyway.

I think if you do the entire rec program (1,2,3), you can get a tech pass endorsement from rec 3. There are more skills introduced on rec 3 than is included in fundies (plus all of the skills from fundies), so if you do those at tech pass standard, I don't see why you wouldn't get a tech endorsement.

I'm not sure about how a rec1 graduate is treated formally, but I know of GUE instructors who are willing to take a Rec1 grad and work with them on a tech upgrade if their skills are good enough to meet the standards.

As I understand it, Rec 1 assumes the student has no prior knowledge of diving. You are already certified, though it seems your instruction may have been lax. But you know the rudiments of scuba diving--you don't need to sit through that again. Fundies is exactly what you need. And as @elgoog points out, Fundies 1 is the first step. "Buoyancy, kicks, ..." are what Fundies focuses on. Sign up for the course. In the meantime, maybe do a few more dives that aren't too challenging. I liked tbone's suggestion of hiring an instructor for a one-on-one session, but now that I think about it, I don't believe that should be necessary.

Thank you all for the advice :) Now it's all about making our schedules meet!

And yes @Lorenzoid i think doing a few more diving would be a good idea. It just seems Murphy is keep me away from that hehe every time I'm off, the sea is angry lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom