GUE Fundies - where should I do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as mentioned in PM, based on what I've read in this thread and others you've posted, I think you need to choose the instructor first and then whittle down the location from there vs. the other way around. Very different than say cave or wreck diving where you may want to choose the location first based on the type of diving you ultimately want to do and then whittle down the instructors from there

as mentioned in PM, based on what I've read in this thread and others you've posted, I think you need to choose the instructor first and then whittle down the location from there vs. the other way around. Very different than say cave or wreck diving where you may want to choose the location first based on the type of diving you ultimately want to do and then whittle down the instructors from there

Understand! Thanks!!!

I took a different class at Buddy Dive, so I'm not certain, but the house reef sure makes sense for fundies. Talk about *perfect* logistics!

I know Kelvin Davidson, who teaches fundies down there in Mexico, he was in my T2 class (Not that he needed to take it, - he was crossing over from another agency, and previously was the Tec Dive director at Truk Stop, at Truk Lagoon). Very personable, funny guy, and a great diver/instructor as well. Not sure if he teaches out of ZG or his own shop down the road.

Zero Gravity - all of the instructors there are incredible and very squared away. Many of them are the divers who originally explored the Mexico cave systems. I'd suggest you simply call or email the shop and ask who is actively teaching fundies.

Kelvin teaches out of his own shop in Tulum and uses Protec Tulum for support (Zero Gravity is about 30 minutes North). While I absolutely LOVE Kelvin as a Cave/Tech instructor, I'm not so sure he would be a good fit based on the feeling I am getting from the OP posts. Kelvin is a very by the numbers, demanding guy. The OP comes across as someone who is looking to improve their skill level and learn more, but not necessarily go full blown GUE/Tech. I would certainly contact Kelvin on facebook (Third Dimension Diving) and set up a phone call to see how personalities and goals match up; I'm just trying to give an honest assessment.

I don't have experience with the guys out of ZeroGravity apart from visiting the shop, but have heard good things.

My gut tells me OP would be better served with Meredith Targuay or Doug Mudry in Florida (or maybe Lauren Kiernan who just got her Fundies instructor card). Both are very experienced instructors with good history of developing beginner divers and have a amicable teaching style.

Dogbowl, when were you looking to take this class? Are you looking to just go diving the whole trip or will there be some days you plan on not diving? Bonaire is basically Dive, Dive, Dive. Mexico and Florida have non-diving activities.

I'm thinking GUE fundies might be in my future, just don't know when, where or with whom. I would like to do it in a single tank and wetsuit, as I'm a warm water vacation diver. The reason I want to do it is to improve trim, buoyancy, situational awareness and team skills with my buddy/hubby. We suck as a buddy team (but don't tell him that!)

So I'm thinking of the following 3 places to do the course:

1. Florida/Extreme Exposure
2. Mexico/Zero Gravity
3. Bonaire/Buddy Dive

I suspect that there are pros and cons of each of these places, but they're only guesses really. For example, in Florida, will I freeze my a$$ off in a wetsuit when in the springs for prolonged periods of time? I want to concentrate on doing my skills not shivering. So just trying to pick a location that will be conducive to my learning (comfortably).

I suspect people might suggest the instructor is the most important factor in deciding where to go. If that's the case, I'm looking for a firm, knowledgeable, experienced but PATIENT instructor. I am not God's gift to diving and I don't take eye rolls and egos too well.

Any thoughts?
Awesome great decision on Fundies might you consider Los Angeles California with Karim Hamza at Hollywood Divers , So Cal has some of the best diving as well .

wouldn't be what I would define as "warm" though
Yes you're right tbone , people dive here year round in wet suits so I was just mentioning a possibility for the op. The op may consider the water temps to get a chance to take Fundies with one of the best instructors around .IMHO.

Kelvin teaches out of his own shop in Tulum and uses Protec Tulum for support (Zero Gravity is about 30 minutes North). While I absolutely LOVE Kelvin as a Cave/Tech instructor, I'm not so sure he would be a good fit based on the feeling I am getting from the OP posts. Kelvin is a very by the numbers, demanding guy. The OP comes across as someone who is looking to improve their skill level and learn more, but not necessarily go full blown GUE/Tech. I would certainly contact Kelvin on facebook (Third Dimension Diving) and set up a phone call to see how personalities and goals match up; I'm just trying to give an honest assessment.

I don't have experience with the guys out of ZeroGravity apart from visiting the shop, but have heard good things.

My gut tells me OP would be better served with Meredith Targuay or Doug Mudry in Florida (or maybe Lauren Kiernan who just got her Fundies instructor card). Both are very experienced instructors with good history of developing beginner divers and have a amicable teaching style.

Dogbowl, when were you looking to take this class? Are you looking to just go diving the whole trip or will there be some days you plan on not diving? Bonaire is basically Dive, Dive, Dive. Mexico and Florida have non-diving activities.

Yes, amicable teaching style is good, militaristic not so much. I’m not convinced I’ll be headed toward cave or tech yet.

I’m thinking of taking this class end of 2018 or 2019. But if it’s several days rather than a week, I may be able to swing it mid 2018. I don’t necessarily have to do other things other than dive. But do really like Mexico and the cenotes. This will be a “course” trip not a vacation trip.

Yes, amicable teaching style is good, militaristic not so much. I’m not convinced I’ll be headed toward cave or tech yet.

I’m thinking of taking this class end of 2018 or 2019. But if it’s several days rather than a week, I may be able to swing it mid 2018. I don’t necessarily have to do other things other than dive. But do really like Mexico and the cenotes. This will be a “course” trip not a vacation trip.

Fundies is typically 4 days if done straight through, 5 if you were to split it up between part 1 and 2 and do it over different weekends. I wouldn't say Kelvin is militaristic and yells or is unrealistic, I would call him more "firm". He's an excellent instructor.

In both florida and Mexico I would look at doing it in the Fall and Spring, I hate traveling down south during the Summer.

Lots of good suggestions...will start contacting some instructors and speaking with them (after I get back from Coz hehehe).

I see your location as Toronto. There is a stong GUE community in Ontario, I believe relatively close to you in the Kingston area. Steve Blanchard and Jen Bush teach there and both are excellent instructors. The wreck diving in the St Lawrence is phenomenal with water temps around 68F/20C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom