GUE Primer Class Report: Tuning the Basics to become Safer and More Competent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I recall, there was an article a while back in Quest magazine about GUE diving in Israel . . . if you join the organization, you get access to all the back issues.

I am really, really glad to see you post your report here. One of the things I constantly try to tell people is that GUE diving is NOT just for dark, deep, scary or caves. A logical, standardized system works great for single tank open water diving, too -- and the better you get at buoyancy control and positioning, the more fun you have, because you can STOP to look at things, and not silt anything out, and not drift away from what you want to watch. These skills work fantastically well for photographers, too! And honing your situational awareness means far fewer stressful episodes of lost anchor lines, misplaced buddies, and the like.

I'm glad you had a good experience, and my hat is absolutely off to you for dedication!

One last word . . . you don't have to find someone with whom to "practice" at home. Every dive you do is practice -- pay attention to your buoyancy, use your kicks, chant your SA mantra (if you have one; my instructor told me to think, "What's my depth, where's my buddy, look at the fish.") Plan your dives, and be a PITA and insist on gear checks. Everything will slowly come together. I did 100 dives between my Fundies class and my provisional upgrade, but only 12 of them were "skills dives".

Why is it that EVERY time someone takes a GUE class, they have to make a new thread about it?

Also fyi, there is a "DIR" forum on here.

Why is it that EVERY time someone takes a GUE class, they have to make a new thread about it?

Why is it that every time an OW student takes a non-GUE class, they have to make a new thread? It's an online dive forum. That's a place where people talk about diving.

He specifically explained why he didn't post in the DIR forum.

This is great information! Thank you. My goals in diving seem to be identical to yours, so hearing about the Primer course from someone you makes it all the more useful to me. Last year I was looking into taking GUE Fundies at Ginnie Springs, but the course was canceled and I was chickening out anyway. It sounds like Primer may be the way to go for me.

I hope you did some more diving while you were here than just that 2-day course.

Why is it that EVERY time someone takes a GUE class and makes a new thread about it, just wanting to share their pleasure and joy with the larger diving community, some individuals feel compelled to come out and crap all over it with snide remarks and snarky "advice"?

Also, fyi, don't like a thread? Don't post in it.

Great report BluewaterSail..
At first I was a little apprehensive about the length of your report but you broke it up nicely and kept it very informative.

I have been to EE a couple of times and noticed that they do have a pretty wide range of products to choose from.

Good luck and keep us updated.

---
- FB-Florida Scuba Diver

Why do you care?

Reactions: Jax
Congratulations, BlueWaterSail!!! :clapping:

Most excellent trip report! Sounds like you had a perfect instructor - I heard Doug rocks!

I love your detail and observations, and hope you continue to post more reports from Israel. :)

Awesome post. Clearly thought out and presented with enough detail to really give a thorough appreciation of the material covered in the course. I think that all of these types of posts help the diving community to evaluate the content and instructor(s) to determine the worth of such courses. Obviously the OP is serious about his diving and improving his skills to travel around the globe to do so.

As for the placement in basic discussions, I feel it is totally appropriate for the OP honestly states his ability and expectations. For many divers certified as Open Water divers primer seems to be the perfect followup course. I have been considering "fundies" since first learning of GUE, but the more I read about primer courses the I feel that is the way to go rather than being overloaded with too much information and expectation of skill. I too like the sensibilities of GUE, but don't ever see myself going to doubles, caving or deep >130 ft diving. I am not suggesting that only those interested in such diving pursue "fundies". Anyone interested improving their diving should take advantage of whatever skill improvement courses are available.

Thanks all for your nice comments. I will let you know how Fundies goes in a couple of weeks, but that I will put in the DIR forum to keep from offending anyone!

Linda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom