GUE Rec Ascent Profile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And there are a fair number of instructors who do NOT work for shops, even though it is getting harder and harder.
I mostly see this in the setting that a n instructor wants to use a shops facilities and it is the trade bargen that is made. You can use my pool free if you sell my gear.

Yep, and they will lie about it. The last time I was on a liveaboard, the director of diving made two false statements about the limitations on our diving, and both times he said they had no choice, because those rules were PADI requirements. Leaving aside the fact that PADI has no authority to set requirements for liveaboards, in neither case was the supposed rule a PADI policy. Not wanting to make a scene, I talked with him about each rule, and he admitted that it was company policy, and it had nothing to do with PADI. He did not say this, but it was obvious that by saying they were PADI rules, he could get the customers to direct their anger at PADI, not the company.
Sounds like an Aggressor boat.

either way from the students perspective anything the instructor imposes is assumed to be agency driven or approved of.
TDI pretty much lets instructors do whatever they want.

I was originally trained by TDI, and I was later a TDI instructor. My first TDI instructor told us right away (Intro to Tech) that he was ignoring the TDI curriculum and going his own way. At one point I grew frustrated and wrote to TDI, describing what we were doing. The response I got was that they did not care, as long as he also met the TDI course requirements along the way. It was not until I became a TDI instructor that I saw how very far he had strayed from the standards and from commonly accepted procedures.

David Novo:
Very interesting results. I wonder if the rec ascent protocol will change with the latest research advocating higher GFlo...

I hope not, since NDL dives are not sensitive to the choice of GF-low.

Not only are NDL dives not sensitive to GFLo they are not required. At least, that's how I implemented GFLo's in my spreadsheet. GFLo is used to calculate the first deco stop so by definition NDL dives don't require GFLo because there can't be any stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom