GUE Standards V8 released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG_1229.png

GUE has Bill Main writing the standards now?

Any idea why Tech 3 and Cave 3 are out? Presumably they are covered by other documents.

The 2016 GUE annual report mentioned they are redeveloping them. I forget the details as to the objectives they had.

My guess is because nobody took them.
the only time ive read about someone taking cave 3 was a nice course report peter steinhoff wrote on it, and that was a good number of years ago

It was explained to me that Cave 3 was like "a PhD in cave diving." It was my understanding that there was even a thesis-like project to complete. And only one or two people were qualified to teach it.

But back to what is more at my level (definitely "BS" degree :D), what's with Triox Primer? Was it that there was a demand for being able to use a bit of helium during Cave 1, so they added the option of combining Cave 1 with a new Triox Primer? It has all gotten very confusing to me. There has long been Rec 3, which I was under the impression was kind of like "Tech 1 light," where limited helium use is introduced, and now a Triox Primer? Rec 2 has always seemed like an odd one to me, with elements of Rescue (and perhaps Navigation) and I don't know what else. Does anyone take Rec 2? And now they offer separate Rescue and Navigation Primers? Was that done because some people wanted only Rescue rather than the whole Rec 2 bundle? (It's not like cert cards in these things will get any recognition outside the GUE bubble.)

Someone should write up a high-level overview of the various courses that highlights the differences. There is some of that in the Standards, but one has to dig for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom