GUE Standards V8 released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There has long been Rec 3, which I was under the impression was kind of like "Tech 1 light," where limited helium use is introduced, and now a Triox Primer?

seems Triox primer is to augment a Fundies or Rec2 pass to the full 130' depth within the confines of recreational standards of single tank, no deco. good luck getting a fill of 30/30 on a recreational charter though!

Rec 3 was explained to me as GUE's equiv to other rec agencies 'deep' course. Even though its a recreational class, the standards for Rec3 (doubles with triox, staged nitrox decompression gas, and up to 15 minutes of deco) puts its solidly as a technical course by other agency standards. Seems the major difference between Rec3 and Tech1 is the max depth (130' vs 170') and decompression limits (15 vs 30 minutes).

i've already limited my OW diving to 100' (get narc'd hard at around 90' on air, and EAN32 is limited also to 110'), so going to try and use our fundies cards exclusively on the paperwork for our bahamas liveabord trip in two weeks since they do include ISO certification for OW and Nitrox. taking our AOW cards just in case though...

Last edited:
seems Triox primer is to augment a Fundies or Rec2 pass to the full 130' depth within the confines of recreational standards of single tank, no deco. good luck getting a fill of 30/30 on a recreational charter though!

Rec 3 was explained to me as GUE's equiv to other rec agencies 'deep' course. Even though its a recreational class, the standards for Rec3 (doubles with triox, staged nitrox decompression gas, and up to 15 minutes of deco) puts its solidly as a technical course by other agency standards. Seems the major difference between Rec3 and Tech1 is the max depth (130' vs 170') and decompression limits (15 vs 30 minutes).

i've already limited my OW diving to 100' (get narc'd hard at around 90' on air, and EAN32 is limited also to 110'), so going to try and use our fundies cards exclusively on the paperwork for our bahamas liveabord trip in two weeks since they do include ISO certification for OW and Nitrox. taking our AOW cards just in case though...
imo i dont really get rec 3, why not just take tech 1 to start off with? its alot of money down the drain if someone takes rec 3 and then decides a year later that theyre going to take tech 1. also i think rec 3 is a "bandaid solution" to not being ready for tech 1

Last edited:
imo i dont really get rec 3, why not just take tech 1 to start off with?

would need someone from GUE who was involved in the standards to explain the reasoning. Tech 1 (still) requires a fundies technical pass. Rec2 + Triox Primer seems to be the recreational pinnacle if you're starting from GUE Rec1, and Fundies + Triox Primer if you're starting with an existing A/OW certification.

Repeating tech1 can get expensive.

so its more 'Tech 1 Primer' instead of 'Recreational Level 3'; Makes sense to me, but it still remains named 'Recreational', which seems to be the root issue.

I'll do my best here:

Rec 1 - 21m max depth, Minimum Deco, Nitrox 32
Rec 2 - 30m max depth, Minimum Deco, Nitrox 32 or 30/30
* - Rec 2 can be taken as 3 seperate parts, Triox Primer, Rescue Primer and Navigation Primer, or can be taken as one complete class
Rec 3 - 39m max depth, 15mins deco, Nitrox 32, 30/30 and 21/35

Rec 3 can be taken with a recreational pass at fundamentals, and also does not involve the same level of "surprise" failures that are a large part of a Tech1 class. As such, R3 does not credit you with anything towards T1.

Just for reference, T1 is 51m max with 30mins of accelerated deco.

T3/C3 have been removed from standards as we are going to be developing those programs over the next year or so, and are starting with a clean page, rather than sticking to 18 year old standards for classes that have almost never been run.

HTH
John

Hi John, what's up with the no isolator doubles? We're people asking for that?

Hi John, what's up with the no isolator doubles? We're people asking for that?

Honestly, I hadn't noticed it.
I assume that somewhere in the world we had an issue, And so it got written into standards. I don't see the point in them myself, but then I also don't see the point in dual outlet single tanks either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom