GUE - What is their standard for what is in pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the thing with the synchronised diving club; fine for them, but not good for the skipper who needs to know that they can drift with the pack as soon as the last diver's bag comes up.

There's nothing dangerous about 3 bags/lines for 3 divers; they rarely tangle, and if they do it'll unwind when they ascend. Something to do on deco.

Captains here in the Great Lakes and rivers ask us to put up 1 SMB per buddy pair/team. I have never heard any of them ask to put up 1 per diver, although each diver should have one. Same for other locations I've been diving at.

I don't think I would want to be near a whole boatload of divers deploying DSMB's in our St Lawrence river, where the SMB goes sideways as much as up. Deploying an SMB in current can be dangerous if not done correctly (no slack) by one person, let alone many.

Captains here in the Great Lakes and rivers ask us to put up 1 SMB per buddy pair/team. I have never heard any of them ask to put up 1 per diver, although each diver should have one. Same for other locations I've been diving at.

I don't think I would want to be near a whole boatload of divers deploying DSMB's in our St Lawrence river, where the SMB goes sideways as much as up. Deploying an SMB in current can be dangerous if not done correctly (no slack) by one person, let alone many.

Seems this might be a location-specific thing for one bag per diver.

Bags go sideways until you get off the wreck and ascend into the current. Brake the reel/spool and let the bag help you ascend (and reduce the amount of winding you have to do).

What is GUE's standard on what goes in what pockets? I understand there is a safety pocket and a utility pocket. I thought I understood what went in what but after watch a GUE YouTube vid I may have been mistaken.

If this has been spoken of already please point the way. I did a search before asking and found nothing.
Originally the right pocket was small and only held wet notes. That was for a probably unnecessary streamlining reason since prop wash is on that side. Once it became a larger pocket one reason it was safety items is because to use any of those things you are coming off the trigger and stopping- spare mask, safety spool, spare primary, etc . Left pocket is for general stuff used during the dive that you may grab before coming off the trigger.

If you are asking for the GUE answer you should keep it consistent. Yes it is less critical for open water swim dives but everything is intended to scale without changing.
What is GUE's standard on what goes in what pockets? I understand there is a safety pocket and a utility pocket. I thought I understood what went in what but after watch a GUE YouTube vid I may have been mistaken.

If this has been spoken of already please point the way. I did a search before asking and found nothing.[/QUOTE

Do you plan to use it? Does it fit?

Communicate with your buddy and have some logic for what you do.

Hopefully not, adjust tank bands or reassembling a reg underwater is not optimal.

But I agree with the second statement, if fact that is why I asked. I’m not remotely DIR, being in sidemount and all, but I do realize that GUE often has some logic behind their choices, so I like to see what they use and if I like it use it. If I don’t I adjust it based on my needs.

Just a wrench and a screwdriver to fix regs, tank rigging, and such.

Typical cave dive plan about 2 hour run time.

Those are usually kept in the wetnotes. Or, for divers with a small zipped flap- pocket on their drysuit, I have seen some put it in this. I usually keep a small roll of ducttape, towcord and a multitool in this pocket.

Those are usually kept in the wetnotes. Or, for divers with a small zipped flap- pocket on their drysuit, I have seen some put it in this. I usually keep a small roll of ducttape, towcord and a multitool in this pocket.

Ductape for your drysuit seals?

If you've ever had a hole in a drysuit in 4c water and plenty deco left, you'd love yourself some ducttape.
Does it stick underwater?

If you've ever had a hole in a drysuit in 4c water and plenty deco left, you'd love yourself some ducttape.

I like it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom