GUE's advantage in terms of content? cave training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon has given you great answers. From the perspective of someone with training all the way through cave dpv and cave ccr with agencies other than gue and multiple instructors, if I were to do it again I would go gue. There is a huge lack of consistency from instructor to instructor on many basic things such as how to put in a jump or mark a jump to basic team approaches. In classes I have spent a lot of time with instructors debating their philosophy over the philosophy of other instructors I’ve worked with. I’m grateful that I’ve had such exposure, but at the same time having a single philosophy all the way through would have been better.

up to dpv and ccr in caves and you have only 50-99 dives! wow! :))

Seriously... Actually I believe that having multiple points of view is good - period. Even if I am planning to go through the GUE route for "formal" training, I am trying to stay in touch with divers from other agencies just to understand their philosophy - and also to dive a bit more, here in France we are not so many :))

But as far as I understand, it is absolutely possible to find instructors from other agencies that will teach at the same standard of GUE, just not so easy: you need to spend time to find them. Also, the cost might be lower, but this is not guaranteed at all.

But as far as I understand, it is absolutely possible to find instructors from other agencies that will teach at the same standard of GUE, just not so easy: you need to spend time to find them.

As a student, by the time you figure this out, you could have taken GUE C1 and had a year or more of actual cave diving under your belt.

Just interviewing and talking with instructors is not really vetting them. Many know all the right buzzwords but still have wacky habits or are terrible instructors. You have to: 1) have enough experience to know what is good vs bad and 2) see past the words to the instructor behavior and real world actions.

Thank you all for this thread. I'm taking GUE courses too but i am curious too what else is out there. So many great divers doing great stuff without GUE procedures. I'm planning on continuing with GUE for the future, but it would be great to at some point dive with or learn from great instructors outside this group by attending one of their courses.

As a student, by the time you figure this out, you could have taken GUE C1 and had a year or more of actual cave diving under your belt.

Just interviewing and talking with instructors is not really vetting them. Many know all the right buzzwords but still have wacky habits or are terrible instructors. You have to: 1) have enough experience to know what is good vs bad and 2) see past the words to the instructor behavior and real world actions.

There is a lot of truth in this. A lot of instructors will know the buzzwords and it can be very hard for a novice to cut the wheat from the chaff when it comes down to instructors. Apart from GUE, which is more finding a right personality match vs the actual quality of instruction, you will get the full spectrum of instructors from all agencies.

I am a person who interviews several instructors for each class and it has been years since I took a class from an instructor I didn't have some first hand knowledge of prior to class---either diving with them or witnessing them teach, most of the time both.

This topic has caused me to look back at my first tech instructors. Dive buddy recommendations can help and is a method that we have all used. The recommendations that carry the most weight are the ones that come with clear teaching examples and a rationale for why they are a good instructor for "you", the specific student, vs a generic he is a really good xyz instructor.

I would say a common trait I have seen in the best instructors is ease of communication. Responding to emails promptly is part of it, reciting the class standards is one thing. Of my top 5 instructors, I would say 4 out of 5 are natural communicators. I mean you get them on the phone, snap your fingers, and 40 minutes have passed without you even realizing the time has passed. Scuba or not scuba related, the conversation ends up being a dialogue of "learning". Not to be confused with a bull5h1t artist, there is a difference between the smooth conversation of a bs artist and the open, honest ,and effective communication that can be had with a natural communicator.

If I was brand new and wanted to find the "real deal" when it came to instructors I would look for:

1. Phone call with instructor needs to last more than 40 minutes. In some regards this is a weird one, but in many ways it makes sense; a good communicator = a good teacher. As I said above, it isn't 100%, but even the one instructor who I can't call a natural communicator was still very effective and exhibited other qualities when we spoke.

2. Find 2-3 former students. Go on facebook or find posters on scubaboard that have taken the instructor and PM them questions about their class and experience. You can learn a great deal from these private conversations. If you have difficulty finding former students, as an absolute last resort, you can ask the instructor for names.

3. See at least a 10 min video of the instructor with students in the water--ideally towards the end of a particular class with some drills. I want to see what students look like at the end of the process and maybe see how the instructor interacts underwater. Seeing a person in the water without the instructor could help to, but it's difficult to see which instructor was responsible for which skills. Especially at the advanced levels, it is not uncommon for very good divers to take a class with a so-so instructor from a teaching perspective. Just because amazing diver X took a class with instructor Y doesn't mean instructor Y made diver X amazing. I understand getting video could be difficult depending on the instructor, but is something I strongly recommend from what I have experienced. With a non-GUE instructor, I would need to see video or personally witness them with a class to consider them for future training.

A big difference is also the level skills are taught to and the amount of course knowlege in a GUE class. A GUE course will have students repeat drills many more times and will require not only that they are performed properly each time but that the students fully understand each step of the skill and why it is being done. Simply going through the motions wont cut it. The amount of required reading prior to the course is substantial. There is also more class time out of the water. Because of this the course typically has both more and much longer days than a non GUE course.

A big difference is also the level skills are taught to and the amount of course knowlege in a GUE class. A GUE course will have students repeat drills many more times and will require not only that they are performed properly each time but that the students fully understand each step of the skill and why it is being done. Simply going through the motions wont cut it. The amount of required reading prior to the course is substantial. There is also more class time out of the water. Because of this the course typically has both more and much longer days than a non GUE course.

Not only that. If you start a GUE t1 or c1, you have already learned how to do a proper valve drill. So, during the course, you will manage them in stress but safe conditions, which is a +++. Although this is NOT a must with other agencies, it is still a possibility that depends on the instructor. For example, as far as I understood, Jon doesn't accept students who do not have the same skills of a tec-pass - see a couple of posts ago.

My perception is that it is possible to find the same quality of GUE outside GUE, but prices are likely as high as GUE (not necessarily). Also, it can be time-consuming to find the instructor, depending on the needs. In other words, GUE guarantees the standards and the diving skills of the instructor, but not the human side (basic communication I believe is ensured as well during the IDC). Other agencies do not guarantee anything other than basic safety***, so if you want to have a comprehensive course you should spend time looking for the right instructor. On the other hand, if you know that you will cave-dive predominantly in some environments, other agencies may have local instructors providing cheaper and less intensive courses.

*** Yes, I am aware of some bad accidents with IANTD posted here on scubaboard, I am not gonna discuss about it here, there is another thread already

So @ginti are you saying that you feel like it's less time consuming to find an instructor that is consistent with the quality set by GUE than it is to find an instructor with a similar quality from the other organisations?

By the way, I feel we're shifting from "content" to "quality control" a bit.

Right now I choose to train with GUE so that makes the search for trainers that dive in a similar fashion easy, other than that I feel an instructor that matches your needs both in knowledge but also as a person is important whatever the organisation. How difficult did you find it to find instructors that suit you outside of GUE?

If a diver is looking for GUE style of diving and GUE requirements (including compatibility with other divers) they should be looking for GUE training, but if that isn't you what difference does it make to a single diver/team that trainer X teaches different procedures than trainer Y? They still can receive a high level of training you just need to find the right trainer as a diver.

On training content:
My first plan to get into cave diving was to take the NAUI route. If I recall correctly they allow you to make 1 jump at cave diver level 1. All in all the first level seemed less constricting than GUE and it seem to me as a more finished training.

Jon has given you great answers. From the perspective of someone with training all the way through cave dpv and cave ccr with agencies other than gue and multiple instructors, if I were to do it again I would go gue. There is a huge lack of consistency from instructor to instructor on many basic things such as how to put in a jump or mark a jump to basic team approaches. In classes I have spent a lot of time with instructors debating their philosophy over the philosophy of other instructors I’ve worked with. I’m grateful that I’ve had such exposure, but at the same time having a single philosophy all the way through would have been better.

It must be time for you to change your dive count. :wink:

So @ginti are you saying that you feel like it's less time consuming to find an instructor that is consistent with the quality set by GUE than it is to find an instructor with a similar quality from the other organisations?

I am saying that if you go with GUE, it is easy to find the quality you expect, so you do not need to spend a lot of time. If you go with another agency, you may need to spend a lot of time to find an instructor with the quality you expect.

So @ginti
By the way, I feel we're shifting from "content" to "quality control" a bit.

Very real, better to switch back, the quality control has been debated a lot, and I guess there is not much to add.

So @ginti
Right now I choose to train with GUE so that makes the search for trainers that dive in a similar fashion easy, other than that I feel an instructor that matches your needs both in knowledge but also as a person is important whatever the organisation. How difficult did you find it to find instructors that suit you outside of GUE?

Outside GUE I have never tried (besides ow, aow, rescue, deep and nitrox). As I said, I change country relatively often, and with GUE I solve many issues: every time that I change country, I post on the teammates facebook group, I find some people, and I start diving; I know the skills and the mentality of my new friends even before meeting them. And if I need to change instructor, it is easy as well. Besides, I like GUE mentality.

I have heard many different stories of my friends about awful experiences outside GUE, never inside (except here on scubaboard and one "second-hand" story of a friend of a friend). So I assume outside GUE it is harder; but again, this is more about quality control, which is a bit off topic.

So @ginti
If a diver is looking for GUE style of diving and GUE requirements (including compatibility with other divers) they should be looking for GUE training, but if that isn't you what difference does it make to a single diver/team that trainer X teaches different procedures than trainer Y? They still can receive a high level of training you just need to find the right trainer as a diver.

For me, the training content is strongly related to this point. I understand that
- you can be a very good solo diver
- you can be a very good diver even without following some standardized GUE rules (e.g. you may want to use a different style of lights or another type of rebreather for instance)
No doubts about it. But all the other training contents should be the same to make a very good diver. This is why I think training content is important, and my purpose here is to compare it with the one I will get from GUE.

So @ginti
On training content:
My first plan to get into cave diving was to take the NAUI route. If I recall correctly they allow you to make 1 jump at cave diver level 1. All in all the first level seemed less constricting than GUE and it seem to me as a more finished training.

Frankly speaking, I think it is better to compare the full cave level. The reason is that each agency can distribute differently the contents across the various courses, so maybe an intro to cave with an agency will focus more on some aspects than on others. But it is really important that
- everything is safe during the course
- the final result (namely, the multistage full cave diver) is consistent in terms of skills and communication, even across different agencies (imagine during a dive you meet somebody in troubles who has a different training... you want to be able to help him/her, and to do that you need to communicate at first)

So again, in theory, I totally understand some variances in terms of standardization and mentality across agencies, but the other parts should be the same. Is this the case? I don't know, I am trying to figure it out. Jon said other agencies do not have strict SOP, so it is more about the instructor.

What can you tell me about NAUI? Can you go more into the details of the course so to compare it with GUE cave1 and cave2?

Hi @ginti,
Not much actually. I looked at cave1 level since I wasn't sure if I would be up for it to go full cave. During my intro to tech training which I received from an instructor that also was a GUE diver I saw flaws in the training I set out to follow. After a period of no diving I went over my plans again since my goals changed and made the switch to GUE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom