Guess what I saw at Redondo tonight!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PinkPADIgal

PADI Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So...

We did our normal Tuesday evening dive at Redondo tonight. There was 6 of us, and we all dropped and headed down the South line toward the boat w/the horse. It was low tide, so we hit the boat about 75 feet. My buddy Tom Carlson and I drifted a bit south, heading toward the bottle field. I look up and there is something large and grey moving toward me. Tom's camera starts going off like crazy...it was a 6 foot female 6 gill shark, just hanging out at 82 feet. It looked like it had something in its mouth but couldn't tell what it was. It moved toward me a few times. I was a bit scared, but so excited too.

We follow her around. She swims quite slowly but just hovering on the bottom. We followed her northward for about 10 minutes and she leads us to another female 6 gill, just laying on the bottom. This shark was about 7 feet long, a little more white, but had a black spot, about the size of a quarter on the bottom section of her back. Our lights must of disturbed her, and she started swimming around us, for another 10-15 minutes until she swam off and we started heading up. I swear, that was the longest 5-7 minute trip to the surface in my life. I hit the surface and both Tom and I were estatic. Only one other person in our group saw both sharks. Everyone else missed it.

That was the first time I have seen 6 gill at Redondo. I have heard they are there, but never seen them. To see 2 on one dive was truly amazing. Photos to come soon.

Ah, I gather this was not at Rendondo Beach, CA. I was ready to catch the boat over there in the morning!

Good for you Amy ... about half my total six-gill sightings have been at Redondo, including my first (with Valerie and Bob Lew).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom