Guests of Sunscape, Secrets & Residencias Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The pier fee is back - but this time it's being enforced.

Vouchers are now required for each diver/snorkeler/fisherman (anyone getting picked up by a boat) to access the pier at these properties. But it's not that simple.

I have spent over 2 hours of my time the past week just gathering the correct information needed to purchase vouchers and then another 2 hours actually purchasing them for my divers today. It's a ridiculous process. Pay at the bank, then drive to the accounting office at Secrets Resort to present our receipt to pick the booklets up, go through security to gain access to the administrative offices then a 30 minute wait to be given the vouchers - no one seemed to know what was going on. So 4 hours of my time to pay a $2/diver/day pier fee that could EASILY be added to the "resort fee" that resorts around the world assess to cover things like pier maintenance with no impact to their guests or service providers, yet still collect the assessment.

The vouchers are in quadruple form and must be presented to the "Pier Police" in order for your dive boat of choice to pick you up at the pier. One sheet for the pier police when you gt on the boat, and one when you get off the boat - and the dive shop keeps a sheet and the boat keeps a sheet - this is for EACH diver EACH day! The charge is $2usd per day.

I will be treating it like the marine park fee and adding it to divers invoices who are staying at these properties. This is an expense assessed by the hotel so should not be expected to be absorbed by dive shops or tour providers. If we were to begin absorbing these costs, we'd have to raise prices across the board.

You have The Secrets management to thank for this added fee to your all-inclusive hotel stay.

Last edited:
Is it possible for divers to pay the pier police directly ? If they change shifts, divers could pay $1 to the guy at pickup and a $1 to the guy at drop off.

Thanks for posting this update. This does sound like a major PITA. I love staying at the Residencias Reef condos and will pay the fee in order to use the pier due to the convenience of doing so. I agree that this fee should not be absorbed by the dive op. I am curious about the people who own condo units at the RR. I wonder if any of their home owners dues have been used towards the pier.

It sounds to me like they are relying on more than just the dollar amount of the fee to discourage the use of their pier by others.

Reactions: MMM
It sounds to me like they are relying on more than just the dollar amount of the fee to discourage the use of their pier by others.
Seems to be the way things are done here. I just bought license plates for my car for the first time. I talked to/had forms filled out/stamped by/money collected by no fewer than 5 individuals. At home, one person would have done it all.

Welcome to Mekkico

Is it possible for divers to pay the pier police directly ? If they change shifts, divers could pay $1 to the guy at pickup and a $1 to the guy at drop off.
So you’re saying to put cash in the pocket of the pier police? No, that’s not an option - if it were I would not have gone through that headache I did today - and if people are able to bribe him to take cash - it will be temporary because he will be fired if caught - who wants that on their conscience?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this update. This does sound like a major PITA. I love staying at the Residencias Reef condos and will pay the fee in order to use the pier due to the convenience of doing so. I agree that this fee should not be absorbed by the dive op. I am curious about the people who own condo units at the RR. I wonder if any of their home owners dues have been used towards the pier.

Supposedly owners of reef are buying up
A big block of vouchers for their renters so if renting a condo, ask the owner or management about it - from my understanding from one of the owners, they will be covering the pier fee for their renters.

another, or maybe even this same hotel, did this in the past. Divers took to just waiting on the beach to be picked up to avoid the fees.

I think it was an attempt by the property to force divers to use the "in house" dive op instead of others.

poor business policy. This was also the property that wouldn't let divers hang their equipment off the hotel balconies to dry.

obviously, not knowing which side their bread is buttered on. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom