Guests of Sunscape, Secrets & Residencias Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True it is the time, hassle and money of providing good customer service.

The dive shops aren't causing the problem, so it's not on them to provide 'good customer service' mitigating the ridiculous requirements of the hotel/resort.

Think about the money a dive shop could make by simply paying the $2 fee while every other shop won't.

It's not simply paying the $2 fee. Christi had to jump through a lot more hoops than just handing somebody 2 bucks. If it were just a buck swap, the dive op. could tell customers the pier people charge $2/person/day from us, so we'll add that to your bill if you want us to pick you up at the pier.

Richard.

The dive shops aren't causing the problem, so it's not on them to provide 'good customer service' mitigating the ridiculous requirements of the hotel/resort.

It's not simply paying the $2 fee. Christi had to jump through a lot more hoops than just handing somebody 2 bucks. If it were just a buck swap, the dive op. could tell customers the pier people charge $2/person/day from us, so we'll add that to your bill if you want us to pick you up at the pier.

Richard.

You are 1000% spot on all points. We as dive ops are not in the business of spending our days running around buying peri vouchers - our business is providing safe and fun dives with great service on the boats. If a hotel decides they need to charge $2 to their guests for a pier surcharge, great - then do it - but make it convenient for all.

Mexico has had a rough year from a publicity point of view. Just a couple of days ago on Yahoo news there was a headline story about recent excursions in Mexico that took a dangerous turn. The article covered bus crashes, toxic alcohol and even mentioned the sinking dive boat in Cozumel. While we know Cozumel is different, I have a feeling that the public perception of Cozumel is painted with the same brush as other parts of Mexico. While not my intent to stray from the topic of this thread. I feel that this shakedown on behalf of Secrets is not going to help. I will continue to stay at Residencias Reef, and really would not mind forking out a general $2:00 pier fee, However, it is the dubious and deliberately vague actions by Secrets which are intended to squeeze out other dive ops that I find so disturbing.

I have friends that'll never join us or visit Mexico because they believe everything they read and hear....fine by me, more tequila for me!

I have friends that'll never join us or visit Mexico because they believe everything they read and hear....fine by me, more tequila for me!
Relatives who are meeting us in Puerto Morelos just sent us links to State Department declarations on Mexico.

Relatives who are meeting us in Puerto Morelos just sent us links to State Department declarations on Mexico.

Send them this:U.S State Department updates travel advisories for Mexico and Cuba

A small excerpt:

• Under the new rankings, Level One, the lowest advisory, signals a need to “exercise normal precautions” in places where there is no more than the usual risk involved in international travel.
Canada and Australia are among the countries ranked Level One.
  • Level Two means “exercise increased caution” for nations where there is a heightened risk to safety. Many countries in Western Europe, where there have been terrorist attacks in recent years, are listed as Level Two. Antarctica is also a Level Two.

MEXICO

Most states and the capital Mexico City are subject to the same level 2 advisory that applies to the country as a whole.

Popular tourism and expat hotspots Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Chapala and Ajijic in Jalisco are not subject to any restrictions.

The new warning lifts restrictions on travel to tourist destinations in the state of Quintana Roo including Cancún, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum and the Riviera Maya.

PBS had a segment on the deaths in Cancun along with the corruption in the police force and politicians....sad. There is another segment tomorrow on the News Hour.

Deaths in Cancun last year was 38 I believe they mentioned...most over gang issues.

Send them this:U.S State Department updates travel advisories for Mexico and Cuba

A small excerpt:

• Under the new rankings, Level One, the lowest advisory, signals a need to “exercise normal precautions” in places where there is no more than the usual risk involved in international travel.
Canada and Australia are among the countries ranked Level One.
  • Level Two means “exercise increased caution” for nations where there is a heightened risk to safety. Many countries in Western Europe, where there have been terrorist attacks in recent years, are listed as Level Two. Antarctica is also a Level Two.

MEXICO

Most states and the capital Mexico City are subject to the same level 2 advisory that applies to the country as a whole.

Popular tourism and expat hotspots Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Chapala and Ajijic in Jalisco are not subject to any restrictions.

The new warning lifts restrictions on travel to tourist destinations in the state of Quintana Roo including Cancún, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum and the Riviera Maya.

Nah. They already have tickets and a place to stay so I'm going to suggest bulletproof vests and then drive them around the back streets of Puerto Morelos at night. Much more amusing.

PBS had a segment on the deaths in Cancun along with the corruption in the police force and politicians....sad. There is another segment tomorrow on the News Hour.

Deaths in Cancun last year was 38 I believe they mentioned...most over gang issues.
Seattle has a few less people than Cancun and a third or so less murders, also mostly gang related.

Seattle has a few less people than Cancun and a third or so less murders, also mostly gang related.

Our oldest graduated from UW this last summer. We wonder how he ever made it home from the library in one piece when he returned after 9 or 10 pm , which was often.

It took balls to walk from his house(s) to the Safeway on Brooklyn, and then run the gauntlet from the sidewalk into the store.

This coming from someone who enjoyed walking the streets in mid-town Manhattan til 2:00 am, back in the day when Times Square still had, shall we say, character?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom