Guidance for argon set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redshift

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking into buying an argon set and although pending towards 1.5l aluminium, I'd like to know how they compare to the 1l steel.
How do they feel in the water?
And for what range / kind of dives are they good for?
Usually deeper OW dives don't have many ups and downs that require the suit to be inflated and deflated many times... but also it's common to go on a day boat and do a deep dive followed by a short dive and it would be nice to have gas for both :)
I'll be doing normoxic, so that's my depth limit.
Besides that, I also cave dive, which means there may be more going up and going down...
Hence, to be on the safe side, I'm inclined to the larger one, but would like to know if there are significant disadvantages.

---------- Post added March 12th, 2015 at 09:42 PM ----------

Also, pros and cons of mounting it to the backplate or the twinset?

I've got a PDF on suit inflate systems written by Rich Walker, technical training director for GUE. Happy to forward it over to an email address...

An al6 is a pretty good sized tank. I guess thats like a .85l tank? I use that for most things and only bring out the bigger one if I'm going to be doing a lot of bounces or its a long cave dive (lots of up/downs).

I think 1l bottle would be great for your application.

Yes, that's 0.85l.
In your experience, that one is enough for a couple of dives without topping up?

1l looks nice, but it's steel, whereas the others are al. I don't know why they do this... So it may behave differently in the water.

Yes, that's 0.85l.
In your experience, that one is enough for a couple of dives without topping up?

1l looks nice, but it's steel, whereas the others are al. I don't know why they do this... So it may behave differently in the water.
I have a 1l steel. Don't even notice it. It's the most common suit inflate bottle in the UK.

Diving dry, why not go steel and get rid of some lead.

Yes, that's 0.85l.

Ya, I've done multiple 200ft OW dives with one bottle.

Track your consumption so you arent surprised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom