"Guided" 200' dive with a single AL80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A guided 200' dive with customers on single AL80s? Genius! :shakehead:

YouTube - Jennifer, Julio, and Sean run into a Hammerhead shark!

Fantasea Dive News

Fantasea Dive News:
I slowily turned back around to continue the search of really why we were here…to find Bull sharks. At this depth you are constantly monitering your depth and the repunitve deco stops that are incurred for being at that depth. Sinking still, I was 185ft. and looking at :10 (min.) worth of not being able to surface right away. And then there it was! The giant dark shape way head in the distance and heading towards us. I knew it all to well. I had been “sneaking up” on shark for years.
icon_wink.gif
I instinctivey flipped on the camera and just like always she began recording. I held my breath and drifted DOWNWARD toward the shark just inches off the bottom. With visibility in exess of 100ft. I could clearly make out a hammerhead shark coming towards me. I held the camera steady and flipped my head over my shoulder to check my divers. There they were and heading downward towards me and the shark. My divers are in good position and now I can drift up next to the big fella! This great hammerhead was moving against the current over the wall as if it were a flat bottom, swining his head from side to side using it like a metal detector detecting unknowing or injured prey. Now I’m a big guy, 6ft 6 inches tall, then add 2ft of fins and 2ft more for my arms outstrected with my video camera, I am about 10ft long in the water…and this big shark made me feel small. REAL small. I guesstimate he was about 14-15 feet long. As he passed I churned my fins against the current keeping up with him for a short ways. As I made time against the current, I searched for a hand-hold to anchor onto. I grabbed for a rock with my left hand and kept the camera on the hammerhead. After he swam past me, he made his way past Julio, Jennifer, and Sean. I released my hand-hold and began to make my way up into shallower water. I glanced at my computer and the max depth reading was at 199ft. I was side by side with a Great hammerhead at almost 200ft! WooHoo! Now back to realtiy…finish the required safety stops and surface safely. 157ft and leveling off…At this point we had been at depth for about :20 and had :17 of required off-gassing stops (and I don’t mean fartting) before we could even get out of the water. As we drifted up the wall to the lip, I could easily imagine the waves crashing against a huge stoney wall from 100’s of millions of years ago. It’s such a beautiful sight when you are in crystal clear waters. And warm! Today I had done all this in my board shorts and a thin neopreme top. But I could feel the colder waters when I was around 200ft coming up from the abyss. For sure later around New Years I’ll definitley need a full wetsuit.
I snapped out of my deep thought, to move up to the next depth level for more off-gassing. I noticed Jennifer running low on air. She moved over to share with me. She secure the air source but seemed to have difficulty breathing with it. But just like a pro, she swapped back to her tank and swam over to Sean. She seemed to breathe easier from his double tank and stayed with him up the the last :03 of our off-gassing( deco stops). Once on the surface, everyone roared with excitement and energy from the dive. We had made the dive in search Bull sharks and had run into big hammerhead…How awesome?! Back in the boat, I told my fellow “shark hunters” that you can pay to dive where they bait the sharks in and it’s dangerous to the guest divers. But to see one out here in the wild just swim up outta the blue…well that’s priceless!

Priceless is what they had to say about it on TDS: The Deco Stop

Do you think that Darwin may
have had these guys in mind????

Sounds like some of the bulbs in the marquee are not quite as bright as they should be.:wink:

Gary D.

I have bounced 200 on a aluminum 80 numerous times. You swim straight down, look around, swim up, hit the surface after a safety stop with 800 psi. Your down and up so fast the nitrogen loading really never catches up. Is it safe--hmmm---is it smart-----hmmmmm-----is it recommended----hmmmm. At my current state I do not do that sort of thing but two summers ago some friends bounced 190 feet mostly on singles. I only followed to about 90 feet due to the cold and me being chicken. N

No margin for error on that one, is there?

Lost a diver in the Puget Sound area a while back doing this very thing.

My wife has a cousin in a wheelchair from a dive not unlike that one.

N

I had an aquaintance who went to 210' on a "guided" dive with what I think was the same operator in Cozumel. He has a nice certificate to memorialize the event. The guide stayed up around 100', so the term is loosely used.

All in all as pretty stupid thing to do and I suspect most of the appeal is to get bragging rights without actually having to go through the technical decompression procedures and trimix training to do it properly.

That said, a bounce dive to 200' it is a lot less stupid than putting yourself into serious decompression without a redundant air supply and with what amounts to no gas planning.

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 5 day 0 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 0ft
Conservatism = + 3

Dec to 200ft (4) Air 50ft/min descent.
Level 200ft 5:00 (9) Air 1.48 ppO2, 200ft ead
Asc to 100ft (12) Air -30ft/min ascent.
Asc to 60ft (13) Air -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 60ft 1:20 (15) Air 0.59 ppO2, 60ft ead
Stop at 50ft 2:00 (17) Air 0.53 ppO2, 50ft ead
Stop at 40ft 2:00 (19) Air 0.46 ppO2, 40ft ead
Stop at 30ft 4:00 (23) Air 0.40 ppO2, 30ft ead