Gulf Islands dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi... I was wondering if anyone knows of a good book out there that covers dive sites around the Gulf Islands. So far everything I've found covers mainly Howe Sound and Indian Arm, which is great, but my buddy has a boat and it's closer for us to go out of Tsawassen (don't get me for the spelling ok... who can spell that horrendous name anyway?! lol)
Anyway, ideas would be great, but a recommended book would be fabulous. Thanks!

The only one I know of is Betty Pratt-Johnson's (spelling?) 99 Dives. It covers Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands and the U.S. San Juan Islands. It might no longer be available because she is replacing it with an updated version. I think this new one covers the islands and mainland together and is supposed to be released this month (I think. -Could be wrong). You can still see 99 Dives in a library though. It only has a few dives here and there in the Gulf Islands. When you look at a marine chart, there are tons of interesting looking potential dive sites.

I borrowed a Betty Pratt-Johnson book entitled "101 Dives" (guess she found 2 more? lol) Actually, it doesn't cover the Gulf Islands, so perhaps it differs to the 99 Dives. I've also heard of one that covers Vancouver Island South, and I believe may have a few of the Islands closer to Victoria, but I haven't located that one. Anyway, I did a Chapters search for Betty's new one and it says it's temporarily sold out. I guess I'll try checking some LDSs. Thanks!
Seems odd that there isn't much information on this area? Silly question, but isn't there some decent diving there?

DiverDebbie:
I borrowed a Betty Pratt-Johnson book entitled "101 Dives" (guess she found 2 more? lol) Actually, it doesn't cover the Gulf Islands, so perhaps it differs to the 99 Dives. I've also heard of one that covers Vancouver Island South, and I believe may have a few of the Islands closer to Victoria, but I haven't located that one. Anyway, I did a Chapters search for Betty's new one and it says it's temporarily sold out. I guess I'll try checking some LDSs. Thanks!
Seems odd that there isn't much information on this area? Silly question, but isn't there some decent diving there?
Yes, she has a book called 101 Dives too that covers the mainland of B.C. and Puget Sound. She does have a book called 99 dives as well (honest!). The one that covers Vancouver Island South is Greg Dombowsky's Diver's Guide. Although it doesn't cover the Gulf Islands, it does cover some of the smaller islands near Victoria and Sidney.

Back
Top Bottom