Gull dive fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacgul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone have any experience with Gull dive fins, specifically the Mantis dry fins? I'm looking at how they compare, most specifically sizing, to more common rubber fins like jet fins. I've also used the Hollis F1s. I have wide feet and like to use the altama assault boots.

I've swum with traditional all-rubber fins since the 1960s and I now have a pair of Gull Mews, which are full-foot fins made by Gull Marine Sports of Japan. They are excellent both in performance and in comfort. Gull fins are embossed with two size ranges, one for bare feet and the other for booted feet. My Mews are sized XL (46-47), foot length 28-29 cm barefoot, 26-27 cm booted, with plenty of room to accommodate my own broad feet. As I have no experience with Gull Mantis dry fins, Scubapro Jetfins or Hollis F1s, I'm afraid I can't compare my Mews with those models.

I very recently bought a pair of Super Mew XX. For sizing, I used digital calipers to measure dimensions on my current fins and compared results with the Gull size chart. A Super Mew in size L (JP 26-27, US 8-9, EU 41-42) is a good fit for US size 10 hard sole neoprene boot.

Another happy Super Mew XX owner. They are SUPER powerful while being easy to kick. They CAN do technical kicks but not as precise as I'd like. They are fabulous in currents but feel too overpowered in calm water lol.

I'm actually quite curious how their more "casual" fins perform.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom