Gulliver's Gathering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernMelody

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This is a post (which I should have thought of doing AGES ago) to let folks know that Tri-City Scuba Centre (located in Kitchener) holds a weekly gathering at Gulliver's Lake every Wednesday (unless there is lightning). Folks usually meet up at around 5:30 pm.
This is a venue for folks who want to just get a dive in, folks who want to bush up on rusty skills, and for newly certified divers who might need a hand. I am there 98% of the time and help get folks buddied up, help with weighting issues and lead a tour for those who wish to just tag along. You do not have to be a client of Tri-City Scuba Centre to come and play with us :)

There is a $5 entry fee into the park.

Directions to Gulliver's Lake is very simple...401 to Hwy 6 South or 403 to Hwy 6 North...turn West onto African Safari Rd and Gulliver's will be on your left hand side about 2 km in for the hwy. If you reach the stop sign you've gone just a tich to far ;-)

I hope that folks will continue to come out and join in the fun!

I just called them today; they said they closed for the season on Labour Day. Do they have special arrangements for scuba divers? I'm in Hamilton and would like to get out a few more times.

RJK75

rjk75:
I just called them today; they said they closed for the season on Labour Day. Do they have special arrangements for scuba divers? I'm in Hamilton and would like to get out a few more times.

RJK75

If you call ahead, they are pretty good at letting divers in after they are closed for the year..

Leftwinger16:
If you call ahead, they are pretty good at letting divers in after they are closed for the year..

Okay, great, I'll probably join in NorthernMelody's group this Wed. the 13th for sure. Sounds like it may be a twilight dive so I'll bring my light.

Looks like today ought to be a nice day after all the rain passes. It almost feels balmy out there right now (2:30 pm).

After my last posting, I called Gulliver's again to find out what the deal is for divers. They said that they close the swimming area by Labour Day every year, but that the area is still is open to campers. This means that somebody (from Gulliver's) is there to staff the gate every day.

However, after the Cdn Thanksgiving, there may not be a staffer there everyday, and so we have to call ahead of time to make sure someone is there to take the money and open the gate.

RJK75
Hamilton

Gullivers is actually pretty nice right now. Vis last night...even after all the rain was 20+ ft :) I met RJK75 and though he ran into some technical difficulties all in all it was a great dive. Including myself 5 divers in all braved it tempramental weather and had a great time. I would suggest that if there is lightning in your area to call ahead to gullivers, being as they will shut the lake down if there is lightning.

Hope to see more SBers there :)

Nice meeting you guys last night. My pressure gauge was leaking way too much and so I had to go back and stay in close to shore. I can certainly vouch for the visibility. I could see bottom standing on the shore at about 5:00 pm when I got there.

I measured a water temp of 66F yesterday, which for me was the coldest water I've ever dived. I had on a one-piece 5/4 mm wetsuit with a separate hood, and only my full-foot fins (barefoot). I was in the water a full 50 mins and was warm inside. In fact when I pulled open my sleeve, hot water came out (no, I don't do "that thing" in my wetsuit:no ).

I'll have a new pressure gauge next week so come rain or shine, I'll definitely be there again.

Regards

Glad to hear it!
See you there! :)

So long as I stay relatively healthy I will be at Gulliver's around 17:30 (5:30pm) tomorrow for anyone who wishes to do a dive at Gulliver's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom