H-1 Dive tools - Need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salg

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am involved in designing a series of dive tools for a small knife company in Golden, Colorado called Spyderco. The material that we use is a fairly new stainless steel designated H-1.

The material has proven to be ideal for the salt water environment. We currenty offer 4 models of corrosion free folding knives. Folders are difficult to make corrosion free because of all of the parts involved.

We are now in the design stage of fixed blade models, including dive knives in particular.

While I have experience in knife design, you are the market and are my best source of detailed info as well as the thoughts behind "why". I use knife forums regularly to get feedback but dive knives have very specific requirements and we would like to create the "perfect" dive knives.

I am interested in discussion on knives; sizes, shapes, edges, hooks, handles, sheaths, etc. What you want/need and what you don't want/need.

We are also working on other dive tools such as shears made from H-1, so I would also be seeking your expertise in this area as well.

Thanx much.

sal

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!

I'm a big fan of full tang construction and a knife that can be disassembled easily, like the old Wenoka Blackie Collins series. Dunno if that design applies to you, but that's one thing I like.

Good finger rests are a must, for applying pressure, as are metal butt-caps for rapping on the tank. Rope cutting notches, and good serrations are also important, but so is a clean cutting portion of the blade.

I like an all plastic (good quality) sheath that has some positive locking mechanism for the knife... no little rubber bands or notches, please.

YMMV. :)

My guess is that I'm not the first designer to seek info here. Have you found that an effective model resulted?

Hi Compudude,

Do you prefer the "line cutter" notch at the tip end or the hilt end of the blade? Top or bottom?

Do you prefer edges on both sides (double edged) or a single edge with a serrated/plain edge combination?

Does your metal pommel need to be flat and large enough to pound nails (like on a dock) or is it just a "knob" to hit your tank with?

Blade length? tip or blunt?

Hey Moonrase, What features does your perfect dive shear contain? finger holes? blade length? point or blunt? Spring loaded to stay open? Sheath type?

Have you ever used serrated shears?

sal

In a knife I prefer something small and relatively cheap. (probably not what you want to hear :) ). In shears, I'd like to see something very resistant to corrosion, even the pin or screw in the middle. Also, it should be pretty good at cutting both webbing and small wire.

Hello Sal
Welcome to the forum, I have seen you on the blade forum too. I use a Spyderco knife daily to cut rope at work as a stagehand and love the design. I am a huge fan of the spyder-edge and prefer fully serrated blades. I mostly use a Stainless Steel Delica and am excited to try the new Delica 4 with the bigger hole. I have a dozen or so Spyderco knives already.

I would think having a fixed dive knife that has several mounting options would be a great idea, similar to what the CRKT ABC Aqua uses. I would like to see a knife I could mount to the shoulder straps of my BC (for a pull down release) and perhaps mount to the waist straps too. A good mounting position and sheath lets you access the knife with either hand. I currently have my classic Tekna dive knife sheath tethered to the inside of my BC pocket, so I can pull items out of my pocket without losing it.

Being able to use the knife with either hand is vital. Being able to release the knife from any mounting point with either hand is vital. The mount should have a solid positive locking mechanism so there is no chance of the knife falling out while not in use. It has to be there when needed.

I am not sure about where the notch should go. Part of me wants to see it at the tip for getting it into tight spaces. The other part of me does not want the notch getting in the way of delicate cutting tasks or sacrificing tip strength. Some use their knives to pry things like clams open. I think single edge ... partly or fully serrated with a blunt or rounded tip. We don’t want to puncture anything we need down there.

I don’t think any diver would use the knife to pound nails ... but more use the butt as a tank banger like you said... though I’m sure some opinions would differ in this area

The handles should be beefy enough to hold with dive gloves on, but not too large to be in the way. Perhaps the handles could be removable for cleaning after long dive trips. Many color options would be welcome too.

I think shears should have the same options... several mounting point options and be useable with either hand... they should have a positive locking mechanism and be useable with or without gloves on. The pin on current medical shears is the rust point.

I am not sure if i answered your questions well enough. If you need any more input or if you need any testers (for any new Spyderco) let me know.

Eliot

Ill toss in my .02...

I think the most important componet of a dive knife is the abilty to get to it easily, and deploy easily. Ive seen some knifes that are a pain to get out of the sheath, which to me defeats the purpose of having the knife. Id definatly want a blunt tip, using it to pry tends to rip off sharp tips. Id say the line cutter would be best near the handle. I would think being near the point would cause trouble when trying to cut most other things. I would also vote for the serated/plain edge combo, as it allows it to be used as a normal blade, but also gives the diver the ability to but something thicker than usual, such as a rope, if needed. Definatly would like to have the tank banger on the handle (dont know if their is a more techincal term). I would say the blade wouldnt need to be any longer than 4" or so. All in all though, as long as it cuts well, and can be put somewhere convient. I have seen some I dont see how they can be easy to get to (consols, legs). My opinion would be the best place is on the harness, around the chest and sholder area. Anyways, hope this helps some, but it is just my .02 in the end.

salg:
Do you prefer the "line cutter" notch at the tip end or the hilt end of the blade? Top or bottom?

Do you prefer edges on both sides (double edged) or a single edge with a serrated/plain edge combination?

Does your metal pommel need to be flat and large enough to pound nails (like on a dock) or is it just a "knob" to hit your tank with?

Blade length? tip or blunt?
Line cutter, probably at the hilt end, on the top, but my needs are more fluid beyond what I already said in my first post.

I do definitely prefer single edge/combo to double edge. I'm not going to get in a sword fight with it!

I like a beefy pommel in general, but again, not a huge issue.

Also flexible on blade length. I currently carry a big beast, approx 5"? But see the argument for a smaller blade (no less than 3"), and my next knife will probably be a bit smaller than my current one.

I prefer a pointed tip, but I don't use the tip to pry, and especially would not with a smaller blade. If I was a big shellfish hunter I'd surely feel otherwise... OTOH, if I was that into it, why not carry an abalone iron? (is that the term?)

Utdivermatt did a pretty good job of adding on to my initial post, all said.

The perfect dive knife for me would be non-folding and have a blunt tipped, single spyder-edge blade with a line cutter and a one piece handle. I carry a Gerber river shorty, but I would love to have a line cutter on it. I also carry a pair of shears and a cheapie line cutter for back-up. I have several spydercos and often carry my old Endura (must be 10 years old) as a back-up dive knife clipped in a pocket.

On a non-dive related note, the new Spyderflys are wonderful. It is nice to have an option to Benchmades and customs for us butterfly knife nuts.

Jackie

One handed opening with dive gloves ON....please...:D

Back
Top Bottom