H bellows pockets outside flap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane

Contributor
Reaction score
Along the lines of Jason's "cookies storage" thread...

My GUE-F instructor had the Halcyon bellows pockets with the extra velro enclosure on the outside flap. I believe he said he used this for 'emergency stuff' -- cookies, arrows, etc (??). Ed, if I totally butchered that I apologize; it was 2 months ago. :wink:

I decided to splurge and get the H bellows pockets; the most recent version has the outside flap closed with a zipper rather than velcro. Pics here for those interested (sorry, cell phone camera...). I am curious of the official view towards what might go into these flap pockets?

Thanks! :)

Along the lines of Jason's "cookies storage" thread...

My GUE-F instructor had the Halcyon bellows pockets with the extra velro enclosure on the outside flap. I believe he said he used this for 'emergency stuff' -- cookies, arrows, etc (??). Ed, if I totally butchered that I apologize; it was 2 months ago. :wink:

I decided to splurge and get the H bellows pockets; the most recent version has the outside flap closed with a zipper rather than velcro. Pics here for those interested (sorry, cell phone camera...). I am curious of the official view towards what might go into these flap pockets?

Thanks! :)

I have the much older DUI pockets on my suits which are just pockets. But, this flap would be a great location for line arrows, leashes and spare double enders. The "little" stuff that tends to take some digging to find in the main bellows.

I have the much older DUI pockets on my suits which are just pockets. But, this flap would be a great location for line arrows, leashes and spare double enders. The "little" stuff that tends to take some digging to find in the main bellows.
Thanks for the ideas -- they'll definitely be put to use. :)

Yeah I find a couple of biggish things (SMB+spool, or a mask) tend to get all tangled up with the small stuff like a spare double ender. I have rather plain jane DUI velco pockets though.

Speaking of the DUI pockets what do people do with the D-ring inside? Cut it off, leave it, use it? I put my car keys on it with a locking minicarbiner but otherwise don't use them for anything.

Speaking of the DUI pockets what do people do with the D-ring inside? Cut it off, leave it, use it? I put my car keys on it with a locking minicarbiner but otherwise don't use them for anything.
I just leave it and ignore it.

Yeah I find a couple of biggish things (SMB+spool, or a mask) tend to get all tangled up with the small stuff like a spare double ender. I have rather plain jane DUI velco pockets though.

I meant it when I said mine were old. I don't have a d-ring. I think my wife's suit does but we just ignore it.

I cut them out. I started doing this when I had the double ender on a spool manage to attach itself to the d-ring by itself.

HTH

John

I keep small things in there like a couple of arrows, cookies, a backup timer, maybe a small light. If I take a backup computer I keep it on the small pockets too. I love the large pockets and bought two of them to be installed on my drysuit when it was made. My only complaint is that whatever material they use, they seem to dry awfully slowly.

Backup computer and timer in pockets aren't DIR and unless it is a long deco in the dark neither is a small light. Watch your answers folks.

Check the GUE website. They now indicate what is standard for each pocket. Probably not a big deal, however.

I'll see if I can find the link. last year...http://www.gue.com/Training/ProceduralChanges/nov2006changes.pdf

Standardized equipment placement for diver’s pockets
The lack of standardized placement for equipment stowed in a diver’s pockets continues to create confusion among dive teams and may be considered a hazard duringemergencies in which a dive buddy needs to assist an incapacitated or troubled diver.

Therefore, GUE has agreed to standardize the placement of equipment in a diver’s
pockets. While it is understood that arguments might be made on all sides it has been agreed that the diver’s left pocket will hold “utility” equipment while the right pocket should hold “safety” equipment. This convention allows divers to become familiar with placement which will best serve them in all diving scenarios.

For example, a diver using a scooter can access “utility” items while scootering. Utility items include but are not limited to a primary SMB, double end clips, stage carry loops, jump spools etc.; safety items include a reserve SMB, spare mask, safety spool, wet notes etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom