H.P Steel tanks in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boston Breakwater

"Outlaw." Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello. I was at a fill station, and there was a young gentlemen that was very proud of the (4) Faber H.P. Steel 100's that he just bought. He said he lived Florida.
I didn't want to down play his purchase, or question him too much. I just joined in his enthusiasm.
I own (2) Faber White H.P. 120's dedicated "Nitrox." I only bought them because they were pristine, and I paid $250 for both.
Anyway, if you live in "Cave Country." and have access to "Cave Fills." why would you buy H.P. 's?
What's the advantage and/or scenario in which H.P. Steel would be beneficial?
Thanks.
Cheers.
Edit: As opposed to buying L.P. Steel.
View media item 209667

Well, you might think that an HP steel is safer at whatever pressure you use than an LP, as I do, though I realize that many don't believe this.

You might be the sort of person who likes to follow the letter of the law and regulations.

You might occasionally need a fill from a shop that will not indulge you in a "cave" fill, perhaps because you are traveling, or because your favorite dive shop changed hands or hired someone new or whatever.

You might find that LP cylinders in the size you want are no longer available because they have been out of production for some time.

You might be protecting your investment because you are concerned that the day may come when either heightened regulatory scrutiny or an accident limits the practice of "cave" fills.

For my single tank dives I prefer LP 85's with cave fills over an HP 100 any day.

Only reason I would go to HP tanks would be if I didn't have access to cave fills. Cave country is pretty small and isolated area of Florida. 99% of shops in Florida will not do a cave fill.

You would not - and you do not need to live in FL to get a cave fill. I think folks mistake HP with more air - my thought is they do not understand what they are buying...
I fill my LP 72's to 3000 psi and I get about 88 cu ft of gas...

I'm all about cave fills in my LP tanks. It's the main reason I bought four worthington lp108's. When I was shopping for tanks, it was the LDS that told me about cave fills and such.

That said, I have met several folks who don't want anything to do with cave fills. @2airishuman summed up the reasoning nicely. As long as nobody's forcing their views on someone else then everyone can be happy!

Also, I have met at least one person that mistook HP as "more air" like @Basking Ridge Diver said.

Even if you're using a fill station that doesn't cave fill, 9 times out of 10, the guy will fill it to 3200 assuming it's a regular pressure tank like an al80. Shops doing normal cave fills tend to go to 3600-3900 (2640 rated). I've only once had a shop fill my tanks only to their rated pressure.

You would not - and you do not need to live in FL to get a cave fill. I think folks mistake HP with more air - my thought is they do not understand what they are buying...
I fill my LP 72's to 3000 psi and I get about 88 cu ft of gas...
Hello. He did say, he thought the H.P. at 3442 was more than a L.P.
My Faber White L.P. 121's are accidentally filled to 3600 on a regular basis....something wrong with the compressor, or whip, or gauge?
I don't know:wink:
I kind of thought, he just didn't know.
It also got me thinking.. hence the question.
Thanks.

My Faber White L.P. 121's are accidentally filled to 3600 on a regular basis....something wrong with the compressor, or whip, or gauge?

I think you can still get FX-149s, which weigh 10% less than your LP121 due to a slightly thinner wall and have the same internal volume.

I think you can still get FX-149s, which weigh 10% less than your LP121 due to a slightly thinner wall and have the same internal volume.
Hello. Thanks for the info. Definitely, not parting with my tanks, or buying any new ones.
Cheers.

FX149's are 2lbs heavier than LP121's.

@Boston Breakwater assuming you have access to big fills.
1. the tank you want isn't made in LP. HP100's for example don't have a direct LP equivalent
2. you are risk averse and believe in behaving by federal law and not overfilling tanks
3. buoyancy characteristics. The HP versions are typically 1.5-2lbs more negative than the LP versions so it allows you to take 2lbs of lead off of your belt. Conversely I would actually prefer FX149's to my LP121's for reason #2, but because of the buoyancy characteristics, I don't want to carry the extra weight when cave diving since I don't need any lead as is.

FX149's are 2lbs heavier than LP121's.

@Boston Breakwater assuming you have access to big fills.
1. the tank you want isn't made in LP. HP100's for example don't have a direct LP equivalent
2. you are risk averse and believe in behaving by federal law and not overfilling tanks
3. buoyancy characteristics. The HP versions are typically 1.5-2lbs more negative than the LP versions so it allows you to take 2lbs of lead off of your belt. Conversely I would actually prefer FX149's to my LP121's for reason #2, but because of the buoyancy characteristics, I don't want to carry the extra weight when cave diving since I don't need any lead as is.
@tbone1004 Thanks, Brother. Always helpful....sending you a P.M.
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom