H20ddyssey extra air system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FijiBound

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering buying the H20ddyssey extra air system. Here is a link to it.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=h2odyssey

I like it because it's a spair air system and has the hoseless regulator included. The 13 cubic foot model fits into a zeagle accessory for the Ranger LTD BCD.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=LTDPonyBottle

I am wondering a couple of things though. What are anyone's thoughts on a 13 cubic foot spair air tank? I am a proponent of forgoing the "pain" of the weight and am more excited about the fact that I have a usable, back up air source. But, what exactly can 13 cubic feet of air do? I mean, I guess I can look up how many surface breaths I can get out of it, but I am more concerned about what it can do underwater. Is there a chart anywhere that can estimate how many breaths at various depths? Also, I am wondering about the H20ddyssey system itself. How does it compare with say the Zeagle pony system, or anything else? I definitely like the hoseless set up, though. It just seems like no more needless hoses and possible dangling regulators. So, I'd like to stick with this type of setup if possible. Any input on anything I've mentioned would be awesome. Thanks a bunch!

Useless.
Save your money and go diving or get some more training.

Useless because it is redundant? I like the redundancy, though.

You will have to research calculating surface air consumption (SAC) to figure out exactly what it would mean for you. It is basically equivalent to using an AL80 (77CF) tank at 500 PSI, not a whole lot of air if things are going wrong and still a chunk to lug around.

I very recently had to do an emergency ascent from 60 feet and it spooked me, but the thought of carrying one of those still didn't cross my mind.

Try the larger 19 or 30 ft especially if diving deeper.

I liked this one better than spare air. I also liked the all in one system without the hose.

Yes you will ignite the deabte to have a pony or not, however all that counts is what you think and want so do what makes you happy. Myself I am like the scouts always prepared, I have the dive buddy and the H2o.

Hoseless regulator? What problem is this solving? It's creating problems if anything. The descriptive paragraph is pure comedy.

13cf at 60" last me 12 min at rest. Mine however has a hose :)

One must consider the workload your under, if any, as well as depth and if your buddy may need to buddy breath as well. A 13cf works well for me and most rec depths is fine but then again my SAC is good.

You should plan accordingly and what ever you end up with understand it's limitations.

Take care and Best Fishes!! <;///><

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

Hi there, and thanks so much for asking questions about the Extra Air Source by H2odyssey.

Most consumers that use the EAS system are using it mainly as a back up bottle just in case someone else runs out of air. The size most used is the 6 cu ft tank for this particular unit.

When you start using the bigger tanks, you're looking at "bail out" type bottles, and most people use our RAS system with this bottle, as it has a 39" low pressure hose that quick disconnects from the bottle for easier storage. Our RAS and EAS regulator will fit into any standard sized tank; even up to an 80 cu ft.

As far as comparing the actual first stages between Zeagle and H2odyssey, they are both the same regulator. The only difference is that the EAS system has the patented swivel on it, and the RAS has a quick disconnect for easier storage.

As far as how long the 13 cu ft tank will last you, yes, you are correct; you will need to determine your SAC and DAC rates to be able to determine that.

I hope this helps?

My instructor has an AL40 with the Zeagle version on it (he added the swivel to make it much like the H2Odyssey). My opinions of it are this; it breathes nice, compact, no need to worry about where your reg is, since it's on the bottle. If it were me, I'd want the hosed version. If you have an Emergency, do you really want to be holding that while working on controlling your buoyancy plus whatever else you need to deal with. One guy I have dove with has that system, with the 6 CF I think, and he said it was light enough to not need your hands...until it starts running out of air, then it gets too light and flips up in front of your face. So long story short, it's a nice system, but I would suggest the one with the hose and have it slung so you have access to the on/off valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom