HACK: SL960 flash battery enhancement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarkCoffee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Along with the short battery life of the DC600, I found I wasn't too happy with the battery life in the SL960 flash. All that extra space in the battery compartment begged for use so I figured why not add more batteries. Since the battery compartment is waterproof I didn't want to risk damaging it and came up with this hack.

I picked up a couple of battery holders from a local electronics shop that fit nicely into the spare space. I then tinned the leads and carefully wedged them into the existing case battery tabs such that they were in parallel with the standard batteries.

My first inclination was to add some 'filler' to keep everything snug when I closed the battery compartment. Mistake. On my second fresh water dive with the flash I flooded it. While drying everything out I realized that with the second set of batteries there was no chance of the any of the batteries getting loose, so I layered the second set in and left them as is, slightly loose with no filler between the batteries and the flash back. Success.

The cycle time of the flash stayed at the 2-3 second mark through out most of three cold water dives with the unit and easily outlasted the DC600 through a few of its battery changes.

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 43
  • PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 42
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom