Had a contaminated fill. What type of clean does it need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone.

I'm a relatively new diver, having just completed 50 dives. I was unfortunate enough to get a contaminated fill a few days ago. I'm aware that the cylinder is now in need of a clean but what type of clean does it need? Will an O2 clean suffice (I don't dive nitrox, just normal air)?

Thanks,
TNMLM

Which contaminant?
If it was "just" CO, then simply emptying the tank should flush it away entirely; the problem is if you have got oil. This requires to dismount the valve and wash the interior with proper oil-detergent substances...

Yep depends on the contaminant. Maybe a visual inspection to check for oil or water. Does the tank need to be oxygen clean for nitrox blending?

The dive shop should pay for whatever inspection or cleaning is needed, and it wouldn't be wrong to insist on taking it somewhere else for that service.

Hi everyone.

I'm a relatively new diver, having just completed 50 dives. I was unfortunate enough to get a contaminated fill a few days ago. I'm aware that the cylinder is now in need of a clean but what type of clean does it need? Will an O2 clean suffice (I don't dive nitrox, just normal air)?

Thanks,
TNMLM

What is a "contaminated fill"? What was the contaminate and how did you know it was contaminated?

Hi everyone.

Thanks,
TNMLM

I am with @OTF on the fact that the shop who filled should pay. That said IMHO a full O2 cleaning (Tank and Valve) would completely take care of that since it is a more thorough cleaning than just a wash and VIS oh and I would insist on a fresh vis to go with the cleaning.

Will an O2 clean suffice?
If your tank (and valve) is clean enough for PP nitrox blending, it's certainly clean enough for air.

So, if you get your tank O2 cleaned, it should be enough. Possibly more than enough, but AFAIK nobody have died from an overabundance of caution. Me, if my LDS (whom I trust because they've presented as competent so far) declared my tank clean and fit for diving, I'd be good.

What is a "contaminated fill?"

I've honestly no idea. This is the first time I've ever encountered the problem and as such my knowledge is lacking. The only information I can give is that after a few breaths, the air tasted weird and I didn't dive with it. It could be oil but there's no sign of any oil on the valve, although I'm aware the oil could have been pumped into the cylinder. However, my second cylinder filled immediately after the contaminated one did not have the same issue.

I've honestly no idea. This is the first time I've ever encountered the problem and as such my knowledge is lacking. The only information I can give is that after a few breaths, the air tasted weird and I didn't dive with it. It could be oil but there's no sign of any oil on the valve, although I'm aware the oil could have been pumped into the cylinder. However, my second cylinder filled immediately after the contaminated one did not have the same issue.
Ah!
Good choice, not diving with that tank. Take it back to the shop and tell them the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom